Part time: 21 hours per week, including weekends and major feasts (for Masses)
Contract type: Initially 18 months, fixed term contract
Salary: Competitive. Further details on enquiry.
St Peter’s is a busy and thriving city centre church, one of 4 churches in the Catholic parish of St Peter and the Winchester Martyrs (Winchester, Alresford and Stockbridge). It has a tradition of music, which in the past has included an adult SATB choir and a Youth Choir, contemporary music groups, and several volunteer organists and cantors.
We are now seeking an experienced pastoral musician to build and grow a strong music team at St Peter’s, while also developing existing volunteer music leaders in their own roles and skills.
The successful candidate will:
- • Ensure that the Music team can provide suitable music for all weekend Masses at St Peter’s (Saturday 17:30, Sunday 10:30 and 17:30, and Sunday 08:00 as required), and on major feasts;
• Lead, or preferably arrange for the leading of choirs and music groups that exist or may develop;
• Recruit and develop more volunteers: performers (singers, accompanists, instrumental players) and support roles (administration; music tech);
• Retain, and strengthen the commitment and confidence of those currently serving;
• Encourage more diverse involvement (age, nationality, musical styles, Mass communities).
Their success will be judged by the team they have built, more than the music they have performed.
To achieve this, they will:
- • Develop relationships with the clergy and the people in the parish, to gain support and assistance for their work in raising the profile of music in the parish;
• Be open to feedback about their own work and that of the whole music team, as they seek to fulfil the vision for music in the parish;
Liaise with music teams at the other churches in the parish, to encourage collaboration (especially at major feasts), and to provide support, while respecting a degree of autonomy for these teams;
• Set a personal example, through their own life of prayer and their attitude of service.
For a full job description and person specification, plus details of how to apply, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
To request an informal discussion about the role, please contact the Parish Office by
Email: email@example.com, or by Telephone: 01962 852804
Closing date for applications: Thursday 16th February 2023, 12 Noon
Interview date to be confirmed in early March 2023