Hymns to St. Joseph

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

Don9of11
Parish / Diocese: St. Mary's Parish / Cleveland Dioceses

Hymns to St. Joseph

Post by Don9of11 »

First I want to thank this group for letting me join, I live in the United States, in Ohio. Hopefully, you won't hold that against me :D I have been a choir member and singing tenor for over 40 years. I grew up in St. Mary's Parish in Akron, Ohio and sang in the choir (1977-2010). My parish closed in the summer of 2010 and I joined St. Paul's Catholic Church in Akron and joined their choir. I was cantor for about 5 years but I had to give it up as it was getting to hard for me to do. I still sing in the choir but since the pandemic, choirs in the Cleveland Diocese have not been allowed to sing. Now for some good news!

Over the course of three years I have been working on a collection of hymns to St. Joseph. I want to let everyone know that my collection of hymns is now available on Amazon for purchase. This is my first time publishing and I am very excited! It is a collection of 14 hymns that I chose from a survey of over 100 Catholic hymnals from the late 19th and early 20th century period. Each hymn has a melody and choir arrangement, a brief history of the hymns, and a short reflection.

I had know way of knowing that Pope Francis would declare 2021 as the year of St. Joseph, so I feel especially good that I can offer this collection at this time.

A Collection of Catholic Devotional Hymns to St. Joseph
Southern Comfort

Re: Hymns to St. Joseph

Post by Southern Comfort »

Welcome, Don!

Amazon does not provide a list of contents. I wonder if you have included James Quinn's hymn "Joseph, we praise you" (no. 99 in Hymns for All Seasons) — a fine text, permeated with scripture references and not overly sentimental.
Don9of11

Post by Don9of11 »

@Southern Comfort,

Thank you for your comments. No, the hymn by James Quinn is not included. That being said, I surveyed over 100 Catholic hymnals which included both American and English public-domain hymnals like the SUNDAY SCHOOL HYMN BOOK, ST. BASIL’S HYMNAL, ST. GREGORY’S HYMNAL and others from the late 19th and early 20th century period and I found over 80 hymns. The collection is limited to those hymns that were widely used. The list of hymns is visible if you take advantage of the "look-inside" feature from Amazon but just incase the look inside is not available, here is the list of the hymns.

Dear Husband (Guardian) of Mary
Dear St. Joseph, Pure and Gentle
Great St. Joseph Son of David
Great St. Joseph Throned in Glory
Hail! Holy Joseph, Hail!
Holy Joseph, Dearest Father
Holy Patron! Thee Saluting
Jesus, Let Me Call Thee Son
Joseph Our Certain Hope (of Life) Below
Joseph Pure Spouse
Salve Pater Salvatoris
Seek Ye The Grace of God
Te Joseph Celebrant
With Tender Love
Don9of11

Post by Don9of11 »

The music director of my parish put this very nice announcement on the St. Paul's Akron, Ohio website. Hymns to St. Joseph