Sunday Evening Prayer

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

presbyter
Parish / Diocese: youknowalready

Sunday Evening Prayer

Post by presbyter »

Is anyone using Alan Rees' Sunday Evening Prayer? (Mayhew) If so, how's it going? [I only ask as I appear to have been roped in to lead it during Advent]
presbyter

Post by presbyter »

Oh well - let's put it this way then.... :)

Anyone available to help singing Alan Rees' Sunday Vespers during Advent? You will have the uncomfortable privilege of being in the Flemish medieval stalls and be able to admire the wood-carvings at first hand. PM me if interested!
Merseysider

Post by Merseysider »

Is this a new publication?
Is it singable in a run-of-the-pew parish?
Am I an ignorant git?
presbyter

Post by presbyter »

It's meant for parish use

Mayhew's have published it
Chrysostom

Post by Chrysostom »

presbyter wrote:Mayhew's have published it

Oh, well, that explains why no one wants to use it. Building up the Mayhew empire is not a priority for any thinking RC musician.
Hare
Parish / Diocese: Angouleme Diocese, France.

Sunday Evening Prayer

Post by Hare »

Please can this not become a Mayhew-bashing thread? I have no axe to grind, but my organ repertoire has been enriched by KM's publications, as has my congregation's repertoire. As with any catalogue, you pick and choose.

I have never used the Alan Rees, but I have a copy. For a parish with vision, and likely to sing Vespers regularly (in order to get to know the music) yes-it will work.

My previous PP was very into the daily office, unfortunately a view not shared by most parishioners ("Mass-junkies" he called them!)

(Remember that episode of Fr Ted when Dougal was stuck on a milkfloat set to explode if it went below 5mph? "What shall we do?" "Let's have a Mass!")