Are you indispensable?

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

Ros Wood
Parish / Diocese: Christ the King Chingford - Brentwood Diocese

Post by Ros Wood »

At least the guest had the excuse that they may not have known better! I was asked to sing during Communion at a friend's wedding. To avoid disruption it was decided that the Eucharistic Minister would bring Communion to myself and the Organist after everyone had received. So there I was, mid Panis Angelicus with the Eucharistic Minister trying to place the host in my mouth!!
SOP
Parish / Diocese: Salford

Post by SOP »

Excellent! I like that one and will definitely be repeating it.

The wedding I mentioned was 'different' anyway. I had been to the rehearsal, talked to the priest, talked to the bride and groom, thought I had a good idea of how it would go. Had not reckoned on the priest inviting everyone to get up, go to the back of the altar and watch the bride and groom sign the register! Erm, should the soloist have followed them and done the solo from there? Or did what she did, and maybe next time have a sign ready pointing to the toilets?
Martin Hall

Post by Martin Hall »

Just a quickie: our choir is non-professional and are happy with the odd
tenner. If a professional singer(s) is (are) engaged - as well as instrumentalists - they get paid the going prof. rate.
And I forgot - the £25 licence fee we charge goes to help pay for the church's CCL annual licence fee, which this year will be £216. But don't start me on "things that happened at weddings" !!!
Martin
ILRush

Post by ILRush »

Martin Hall wrote: But don't start me on "things that happened at weddings" !!!
Martin

Why not? Please do - true stories are often the funniest.

Please?? :D
Merseysider

Post by Merseysider »

I've been musicking at three masses each weekend – not usual but our PP has been on sick leave and his stand-in insists on all sorts of weird and wonderful things if I'm not there.

PP was due back mid-July and I was planning a couple of weeks off in August.

Tonight I discovered PP won't be back until the end of August. So, do I have my break and allow the stand-in to wreck much that we've achieved over the last six months (we only really started in March) or do I wear myself out battling against a man who demands the Peruvian Gloria and will start it even when I have planned something else?

Or does anyone have any spare valium?

Merseysider.
mcb
Parish / Diocese: Our Lady's, Lillington

Post by mcb »

Merseysider wrote:So, do I have my break ... or do I wear myself out ... ?

Take that break. Not being able to turn my back on things because someone else is bound to do something half-baked in my absence is a condition I find I have to face up to repeatedly in myself.

It's probably true that things will fall apart in your absence - if you're doing a good job it's bound to be worse when you're not there, and in your particular situation it's clear you're having to contend with someone who doesn't recognise his own limitations or respect the authority that comes with other people's abilities and experiences.

But something good may come out of it - people who have taken you for granted until now may suddenly realise what it is you've been trying to achieve if they're deprived of it for a few weeks. So your inept locum may be performing valuable if inadvertent catechesis.

What's more, the vocation you have to your musical ministry doesn't extend to a vocation to batter yourself with stress. You'll be able to return refreshed and carry on the good work you've begun. Every parish does strange things musically in the summer holidays, and maybe the Peruvian Gloria is better than nothing.

So look after yourself!

Martin.
Canonico

Post by Canonico »

Completely agree with Martin. Look after yourself!
If it's any comfort, many priests have exactly the same difficulty most of the time, especially if we have tried to encourage the kind of celebration envisaged by the reforms of the Second Vatican Council and subsequent Instructions. Music isn't the only ministry to suffer; readers who mumble, servers who chatter, ministers of Holy Communion who do things right when the appointed priest is there but go to pieces when there is a 'supply'. Just realise that the Lord is never served by anything which dehumanises such as stress and tiredness, so take time off and come back stronger, happier and more able to cope!
Merseysider

Post by Merseysider »

Think I'm going to take your advice.
Our Saturday evening Mass (at the smaller church) is proving a real struggle while we have the visitor – keep asking myself if it's me – Sunday morning at the same place is a very different affair – feel as though I have the congregation on my side.

About to start a youth choir at our larger building – think I'll put my energies into that and have them ready for when the PP returns.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Merseysider
Gwyn
Parish / Diocese: Archdiocese of Cardiff

Peruvian Gloria

Post by Gwyn »

The Peruvian Gloria - Will the 70's never die?

I wonder did the composer realise when penning it that he/she was cursing generations yet unborn?

I jest of course (a bit) :roll:

Please don't anyone leap to its defence, it's awful.

Enjoy your break Merseysider. :)
ILRush

Post by ILRush »

What is a good Gloria for a congregation to sing?

Most, if not all, that I know are mostly choir or cantor and to be part of the congregation means they are mind bogglingly boring. I prefer those that are cantored because usually you can make out the words! Some are more suitable for the concert hall than a Mass.
Merseysider

Post by Merseysider »

Try Chris Walker's Gloria Festiva – first and third sections match, therefore helping the congregation to learn them in one go. Have the choir sing the middle section: so easy that the assemblywill soon start joining in that bit too without much hassle.

Just finishing a new one for organ or guitar and flute if you fancy a butchers.
Dot

Invitation

Post by Dot »

Just finishing a new one for organ or guitar and flute if you fancy a butchers.

Bring it along to the Composers' Group meeting at Salford on July 10th. You're not too far away. Details on Composers' page of website here

Gloria settings are what we need: good strong settings with lasting appeal, true to the text and with assembly involvement. We (our parish) have sung some good ones but we change them each season as our assembly does not seem to take ownwership of any. We are now searching desperately, and have hit upon a particularly wooden chant and response version for this season. I think we are still searching......

Dot
Gwyn
Parish / Diocese: Archdiocese of Cardiff

Post by Gwyn »

Peter Jones' Coventry Gloria is very singable and easily picked up but the punter-in-the -pew. Doesn't feel like it's now more than twenty years old does it?
Merseysider

Post by Merseysider »

Thanks for the invitation, Dot.
Not ready for the comp group get.
It's one thing churning out stuff for local parishes,
quite another presenting them to a group of folk who know what they're doing.
It's nearly 20 years since I left music college – don't think my accpt writing and harmony are any better now than they were then!
Bestest,
Merseyside
mcb
Parish / Diocese: Our Lady's, Lillington

Post by mcb »

Merseysider wrote:quite another presenting them to a group of folk who know what they're doing.

Well quite, yes, I'm sure it would be... But you're safe enough at the composers group. It's a very sympathetic audience - much more so than unleashing a piece on a hostile and demanding public. (A much smaller audience too! Usually just half a dozen or so at the Salford meeting, though I'm told we may reach double figures this year.) I'd give it a try - glad I did five years ago.

M.