Are you indispensable?

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

musicus

Are you indispensable?

Post by musicus »

As the carols and mince pies give way to snow and harsh reality, I address this topic's question to parish musicians. (Priests, flower arrangers and church cleaners will already have answered, 'Of course!', and moved on.)

I have always thought that parish musicians should normally expect to be available on Sundays and on the Church's other principal occasions (the Triduum and Holy Days of Obligation.) In many parishes, including my present one, the musicians take a break in August. I still feel guilty about this, but have no desire to return to that (admittedly brief) stage when we could arrange no family holidays that took us away from home.

There are several pros and cons here. What do others think and do about this?

M
presbyter
Parish / Diocese: youknowalready

Post by presbyter »

Go have your holiday. I'm entitled to three Sundays off in a year in this diocese. Why shouldn't you be? (See Code of Canon Law for clergy holidays - not to hand for exact reference)
Tsume Tsuyu

Post by Tsume Tsuyu »

Musicus wrote:In many parishes, including my present one, the musicians take a break in August.

We need a break - from one another, if nothing else! As we approach Summer, tempers are often frayed. Musicians spend a lot of time together and, whilst we may still choose one another's company during the break, the pressure of working together is off. By July/August, folk are weary and looking forward to a holiday. Not having the pressure of having to be at a certain Mass, having to practise and plan, having to remember what music to bring etc., etc. is most welcome. I come back to my ministry refreshed and renewed which can only be a good thing for the parish!

There is a downside though, and that is the lack of music in summer Masses, which must disappoint visitors to our parish. I say this because, when I go away, I love visiting new churches and discovering what they are up to, musically. I feel cheated when I go to a different church and find the choir 'on holiday'. I have no idea what the answer to this is. I suppose I just want to be able to have my cake and eat it!

T.T.
Benevenio

Post by Benevenio »

In the place of work, we take holidays not because the employers think it is a good idea, but because we think it is. It allows us to recharge.

In a ministry, we also need time to recharge. Musicians give a lot to the Church, and, in order not to end up being drained, must find some way of spiritually recharging. Exactly how depends on the way your choir and parish works.

I'd guess that in most places, there is one one choir and one organist/instrumental group for a specific mass (As an example, the parish I am in has one choir which sings on the Sunday morning and another that sings with the Saturday evening congregation.) One way to recharge is not to minister every week... so, what we should be doing is to train others to take our place. Then you could take a week off and allow yourself to be ministered to, either sitting in your own assembly or visiting another. If you had two organists, there would be no trouble in taking time out... If you had enough choir members, they could take turns in not being there, even in just sitting away from the music group, elsewhere in the congregation...

Another way to recharge - which is very common - is to take August off. With many choir members away, this is an easy thing to do. It also allows the assembly to appreciate you all the more when you restart: "See - Hear - what we've been missing!"

Much might depend on what the assembly wants. If they are happy to sit without music (despite what the Church documents say about the integral nature of music with the Liturgy; despite rehearsing to sing Holy, holy, holy with the angels), then there's little point worrying about not being there. If you have an enthusiastic assembly, happy to sing whatever is thrown at them, then you'll not be missed if you aren't there because their enthusiasm will carry it through. The problem is those assemblies that aren't quite so sure, and need a little encouragement - then you must ensure that there is someone who can lead them gently to where they want to go, August or not!
presbyter wrote:I'm entitled to three Sundays off in a year in this diocese.

Presbyter: Perhaps we should tackle how to get more time off for clergy, or even just how to get more clergy, in another topic!
Benevenio.
presbyter

Post by presbyter »

Benevenio wrote:Presbyter: Perhaps we should tackle how to get more time off for clergy, or even just how to get more clergy, in another topic!

Or even how to get more Catholics
Tsume Tsuyu

Post by Tsume Tsuyu »

...........or how to keep the ones we have!
musicus

Post by musicus »

Tsume Tsuyu wrote:There is a downside though, and that is the lack of music in summer Masses, which must disappoint visitors to our parish. I say this because, when I go away, I love visiting new churches and discovering what they are up to, musically. I feel cheated when I go to a different church and find the choir 'on holiday'. I have no idea what the answer to this is. I suppose I just want to be able to have my cake and eat it!

I quite agree, TT; that is the main drawback for me too.

I am very fortunate now to be part of a team - and therefore not indispensible. I could just about envisage a situation wherein the entire team operated for most of the year, but team members staggered their summer breaks so that every Sunday was covered. It's great to have a choir to lead and support the assembly, but most of what we do requires only a cantor and an organist/pianist. I do appreciate, however, that the vast majority of parishes in the UK are not so generously 'staffed'.

I wonder what happens in countries (like the USA) where parishes employ musicians. Does anyone have any experience of this?

M
presbyter

Post by presbyter »

Tsume Tsuyu wrote:
There is a downside though.......

Somewhere near Bath I believe. Am told the music there is very good (but no choir in the summer apart from the monastic one) :wink:
musicus

Post by musicus »

presbyter wrote:Somewhere near Bath I believe. Am told the music there is very good (but no choir in the summer apart from the monastic one) :wink:

Ho, ho, ho, Presbyter. (The reference is to Downside Abbey, but he's off-topic :roll: )
Martin Hall

August . . .

Post by Martin Hall »

I am inclined to agree with the general sentiment about a break in August,
but, apart from disappointing holidaymakers visiting the parish, August has become in my parish the most popular for weddings. This year, I am scheduled to arrange the music for weddings on every Saturday from July 31st to September 11th inclusive. The 5.30 Saturday Mass is by longstanding custom and use a "choral" celebration and again by the same token the choir, young people's group and "folk" band take their
hols. as well. Nearly all couples choose to have the choir lead the singing,
so as can be imagined forming a competent choir in August can be fraught
with problems, bearing in mind we charge a "competitive" fee for the singers - let alone the organist. Prayers, please !
musicus

Post by musicus »

You get paid???!!!

Welcome to the forum, Martin!
presbyter

Re: August . . .

Post by presbyter »

Martin Hall wrote:bearing in mind we charge a "competitive" fee for the singers - let alone the organist.

Trust you get double fee then if video recording taking place (assuming that you are happy about being recorded - you have a perfect right not to be) and that you refuse to play/sing at all if those doing the recording have no mechanical reproduction copyright licence (which includes "uncle Fred" who's just doing a recording as a family memento)

Legally, it's up to the priest of the church to see that licences and copyright permissions have been obtained - he's responsible for what goes on inside the building. But priests tend not to known much about this.......... that's starting another thread.......
SOP
Parish / Diocese: Salford

Post by SOP »

I used to be in a choir which always takes a break immediately after Christmas and again immediately after Easter. Barmy!

We say carols should not be sung until Christmas but then the choir disappear when we should be rejoicing with full voice. Families get together over Christmas and there are more visitors at the Masses over that time.

Some musicians are truly miserable!
Martin Hall

Post by Martin Hall »

In reply to Musicus and Presbyter:
Weddings are charged a standard fee of £70 for the organist (whoever it is) and £80 for a group from the parish choir to share out. They usually put this in a kitty to pay for two choir parties post Christmas and Summer.
All couples receive a detailed questionnaire beforehandwhich inter alia asks for details of recordings and if professional or amateur. The latter is subject to a "licence" issued by me on behalf of the PP and a flat fee of £25 is charged every time.I know this is not exactly in line with ISM/RCO guidelines but I bet it is better than in most RC parishes. Professional video-recorders are "discouraged" from filming the organist; the threat of charging them 500 guineas [sic] usually puts them off.
Happy Candlemas !
Martin
SOP
Parish / Diocese: Salford

Post by SOP »

£80 for a choir sounds very cheap!!

Our soloists charge £50 and a small choir charge more than that. Nothing is done about being recorded - yet. Mostly we ask that whoever is taking photographs or in charge of the video recorder does not actually knock down the soloist but ...

One soloist started to sing at the signing of the register: A - ve (a guest interrupts to ask where the toilets are!!!). Brilliant.