Redundancy after furlough

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

Hare
Parish / Diocese: Angouleme Diocese, France.

Redundancy after furlough

Post by Hare »

If no singing is allowed whenever churches reopen for worship, is there a real danger of paid musicians being made redundant? I am on furlough and my PP has emailed me a form to fill in stating my working hours. There is a box at the bottom saying "Redundant 1/8/20 Yes/No".......
Nick Baty
Parish / Diocese: Formerly Our Lady Immaculate, Everton, Liverpool

Re: Redundancy after furlough

Post by Nick Baty »

Me may need to know more. Does the "Redundant" question suggest it's optional or being imposed?
Hare

Post by Hare »

Not clear. I don't think PP knows either. He seems to think I'll be back playing next month!
Nick Baty
Parish / Diocese: Formerly Our Lady Immaculate, Everton, Liverpool

Post by Nick Baty »

HR dept for your diocese?
Hare

Post by Hare »

That's where the form is from - I'm on diocesan payroll for tax and safeguarding purposes (They reclaim my salary from parish)
keitha

Post by keitha »

I would bet that this is the HR department gathering information before deciding where redundancies may fall in August (probably if there is no return to attended services in church by then) - so they have sent a survey form to parishes - without realising that PPs will hand them to relevant people for competing. Maybe worth asking your PP what it's about and if he doesn't know, he can ask HR (rather that you popping your head above the parapet).
Keith Ainsworth
Southern Comfort

Post by Southern Comfort »

Assuming that the government support reduces or comes to an end, rather than making people redundant another solution for the diocese would be to put people on unpaid leave. This would enable them to "rehire" people when the situation improves without having fired them.

I'll bet they haven't thought of that.