COVID-19 - Latest information from the Liturgy Office

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

Dom Perignon
Parish / Diocese: SSG Moderator

COVID-19 - Latest information from the Liturgy Office

Post by Dom Perignon »

The Archbishops of England & Wales have announced that public Mass will cease as of Friday evening (20th March). Here is the note about how liturgies are to be celebrated.
Liturgical-Advice-to-Bishops-COVID19-180320.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Forum Moderator
quaeritor

Re: COVID-19 - Latest information from the Liturgy Office

Post by quaeritor »

I notice from the penultimate paragraph of the linked document ("Sacraments of Initiation at the Easter Vigil
This will be dependent on the forthcoming decisions of the Bishops for the Holy Week ceremonies.") that the fate of the Holy Week eremonies was not decided at the time of writing. Has anything further forthcome yet? (I've cancelled choir practices and effectively stood the choir down! - was that premature?)
Q
keitha

Re: COVID-19 - Latest information from the Liturgy Office

Post by keitha »

In order for this new 'suppression' tactic to work it needs to be in place for at least 3 months. The Imperial College modelling indicates that we might then have a month or two of the previous 'management' strategy before bringing back 'suppression' for another three months, and that this sequencing would continue until either (i) a cure is developed (ie a drug that will 'fix' someone who presents with severe symptoms) or (ii) a vaccine is developed (around 18 months away - because of the time required to make sure that someone inoculated in the human trial doesn't develop the disease otherwise premature mass vaccination would simply be injecting the disease into people) or (iii) 'herd immunity' gradually develops (or a combination of all three). I'm not spending any time planning for a normal Triduum! I will however be working with my PP to see what could be broadcast in some way.
Keith Ainsworth