The God Who Speaks Through Song

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

MaryR

The God Who Speaks Through Song

Post by MaryR »

For anyone who hasn't spotted the adverts for this event, Birmingham Archdiocese is holding a music day this Saturday, 25 January, at St Chad's Cathedral.

The God Who Speaks Through Song will begin with a talk from David McLoughlin, Emeritus Fellow of Christian Theology at Newman University and Bible Champion for the Year of the Word in Birmingham Archdiocese. Workshops include Singing the Responsorial Psalm led by Alan Smith and Psalms instead of Hymns led by Martin Barry. The day will end with a sung Mass at which Bishop David McGough will preside.

The event is free and a soup lunch will be provided. Bookings are requested for catering purposes but there are still some places available. Further details can be found HERE.
Mary
blackthorn fairy
Parish / Diocese: Our Lady of the Sacred Heart Wellingborough Northamptonshire

Re: The God Who Speaks Through Song

Post by blackthorn fairy »

Yes - it was a good day - I especially appreciated the opening talk by David McLaughlin - v interesting but he was running short of time and kept having to move on.
MaryR

Re: The God Who Speaks Through Song

Post by MaryR »

Thank you, Blackthorn Fairy. I'm glad you enjoyed the day. There were about 60 of us in total, including leaders, and the feedback was very positive about the day. Folk were particularly pleased to have some focus on music as many of the events taking place seem to be focusing on reading the Word, both proclaiming and private or small group bible study.

I agree, Blackthorn Fairy, that David McLoughlin didn't have enough time. The truth is that he had heaps of material - too much for the time allotted - but we were also a bit late starting as he'd been to a meeting elsewhere first, so his time was shaved a bit. Worth having him back to another event and SSG will certainly be sending him an invitation (in fact, we already have - but he's currently booked up with events until July!).
Mary