New hymnbooks

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

manniemain
Parish / Diocese: St Margaret's Huntly - diocese of aberdeen

New hymnbooks

Post by manniemain »

Our parish is reaching the stage where its copies of HON (with supplement) are starting to look both dog eared and dated. "Laudate" has previously seemed like a good replacement. Would this still be the case, or do people now favour a different "gold standard"?
Rob
Nick Baty
Parish / Diocese: Formerly Our Lady Immaculate, Everton, Liverpool

Re: New hymnbooks

Post by Nick Baty »

We have Laudate and, apart from occasional midweek use, it sits unloved on its shelves. We print weekly service sheets as they're much more flexible. There's a discussion about this very issue here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/300911236958173/ (Seventh post down!)
alan29

Post by alan29 »

Nick Baty wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:05 pm We have Laudate and, apart from occasional midweek use, it sits unloved on its shelves. We print weekly service sheets as they're much more flexible. There's a discussion about this very issue here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/300911236958173/ (Seventh post down!)
Recycled paper, I hope!
blackthorn fairy
Parish / Diocese: Our Lady of the Sacred Heart Wellingborough Northamptonshire

Post by blackthorn fairy »

I don't think there is a 'gold standard' - it's more a question of taking the good with the 'rest' and ignoring what you don't want. Some years ago I eventually decided on CFE - which ticked some boxes I was looking for. There is an awful lot in it that is simply a waste of space/paper IMHO - but at least the editors didn't go overboard in changing well-known and faniliar words as so many have done.For example, we sing Hymns of the North Rejoice every Advent and it is good to be able to sing the proper words from CFE - unlike in so many other hymn books. Another factor to consider is the size of the books - it is far better to have 2 volumes that are manageable than one that is not - too heavy, will not stay oopen, does not sit on the music stand etc etc
Best of luck!