Help identifying a psalm setting

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

pdsfd
Parish / Diocese: Salford

Help identifying a psalm setting

Post by pdsfd » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:35 pm

Can I please ask if anyone knows this particular setting of Psalm 103 'Send forth your Spirit' and its composer? I've typed the notes below which translate to the melody of the refrain:

Middle C Send A forth C your F Spi- E -rit, D O C Lord,.....A and C re- D -new C the A face G of A the F earth.

All of the A notes in both the refrain and the verses are directly below middle C, and all of the C notes in both the refrain and verses are middle C! The first F in the refrain is above middle C, the F for 'earth' is below. The G in the refrain is below middle C.

This is the verse melody:

Middle C Bless C the A Lord C my D soul, D Lord D God D how C great A you C are; C clothed C in C ma- C -jes- A -ty C and F glo- F -ry! C Wrapped C in C light C as A in G a F robe.

The two F notes for 'glory' are above middle C, the G-F for 'a robe' both below middle C.

I hope I've made this reasonably clear to read!

We used to sing this setting during the Easter Vigil for a good number of years at my local church, but haven't touched it (or any other setting!) for about a decade. It is my favourite setting of this psalm of the few I've heard/sung.

alan29

Re: Help identifying a psalm setting

Post by alan29 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:50 pm

That psalm tone is very familiar. I have checked and its not on my sheet of Bevenot tones.

Becky
Parish / Diocese: Arundel and Brighton

Post by Becky » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:50 am

Not in that key but it's on p33 of the Dean/Macmillan Complete Responsorial Psalter.
Response and chant both AGM

mcb
Parish / Diocese: Our Lady's, Lillington

Post by mcb » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:09 am

Dom Gregory Murray. Also in the New English Hymnal, number 537.

pdsfd
Parish / Diocese: Salford

Post by pdsfd » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:41 am

Thank you all!