"Choirs"

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

organist
Parish / Diocese: Westminster cathedral

"Choirs"

Post by organist »

I am fed up being told our school has a "choir" when they have a karoake group who sing to CDs of pop music. Maybe so many kids are singing from meory because nobody teaches them how to read music? Proper posture and breathing are not taught. They might as well be singing in a bar - they are not performing! :( And why do we clap everything kids say or do? Some things deserve applause others don't.
VML
Parish / Diocese: Clifton Diocese

Re: "Choirs"

Post by VML »

Our parish school has so little singing these days apart from 'hymn practice', which, I have to say, has led to an improvement in the singing since it is voice led by our 'praise music' leader, rather than a pianist who never sang. However, Christian schools are spending large sums of money on a programme called 'I Sing Pop,' with upbeat worship songs to backing tracks, which are recorded for parents to buy. The catechesis os good, but the music just banal.
blackthorn fairy
Parish / Diocese: Our Lady of the Sacred Heart Wellingborough Northamptonshire

Re: "Choirs"

Post by blackthorn fairy »

Good points Organist. It's the karaoke aspect and the associated poor vocal production that get me - all shouting, not singing.