Ascension Day

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

Nick Baty
Parish / Diocese: Formerly Our Lady Immaculate, Everton, Liverpool

Ascension Day

Post by Nick Baty »

Am I the only person who hadn't noticed that Ascension Day has moved back to a Thursday from this year? (Although Corpus Christi hasn't.) Planning seventh Sunday of Easter (at short notice) for the first time in years.
alan29

Re: Ascension Day

Post by alan29 »

Noticed it a few weeks ago when I did the psalmists rota and discovered that I needed to concoct something for that Sunday.
High Peak
Parish / Diocese: Diocese of Nottingham

Post by High Peak »

I read about it towards the end of 2017, if memory serves.
JW

Post by JW »

I just hope they've made up their minds now and don't go changing it again in a few years' time. And the SSG Liturgy Planner was incorrect.
JW
alan29

Post by alan29 »

I find it puzzling that the celebration of the Ascension a feast closely associated with the saving activity of our Lord should have been moved from Sundays (the Lords day and the summit of the liturgical week) while Corpus Christi a feast day which is about a sacrament should have stayed on Sunday.
Ros Wood
Parish / Diocese: Christ the King Chingford - Brentwood Diocese

Post by Ros Wood »

Ascension Day and Epiphany were probably moved back because they have are shared with other denominations and also occur (biblically for Ascension and by tradition for Epiphany) a set number of days after a previous event (i.e. Easter and Christmas).

Also, moving Ascension Day back allows for a full Novena between Ascension and Pentecost.

Corpus Christi on the other hand has no reason to be on any specific date but does have the tradition of processions which are easier to organise at the weekend.

Also, it brings us into line with much of Europe. I am normally in Lourdes for a week in June and when Corpus Christi was on a Thursday I would find that I would often either celebrate twice (if I travelled to Lourdes on the Friday or Saturday after) or not at all (if I travelled back from Lourdes on the Friday or Saturday after).
JW

Post by JW »

I think Corpus Christi was on a Thursday because the Last Supper was on a Thursday. Processions were often held on the following Sunday. The route of the one in Bridport in the 1950s must have been nearly a mile long. It involved enthusiastic singing, rose petals, and a hellfire sermon with Benediction to round it off. No doubt other parishes held similar events.
JW
markyboy2000
Parish / Diocese: Middlesbro

Post by markyboy2000 »

There was a report on a Catholic website a couple of years back, that in Rome Corpus Christi is celebrated twice. The Vatican celebrates on the Thursday with the traditional procession along the Via Merulana from St John's to St Mary Major, adding to the cutomary traffic chaos no doubt. The city and the rest of Italy celebrated on the following Sunday.