I Sing Pop, 'Christian music project'

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

VML
Parish / Diocese: Clifton Diocese

I Sing Pop, 'Christian music project'

Post by VML »

Has anyone come across I Sing Pop? It is endorsed by various Anglican dioceses, and has a C of E bishop as trustee.
The team, as far as I can see, goes into a school for a week, to teach the children songs with Christian message. Then they make a record, and have a big concert in the parish church, and, (very important,) sell the CDs. I think all the songs are composed by members of the project, and all the backing tracks, recording equipment etc are supplied. The testimonials are glowing, 'getting children all working together and performing with confidence.'

They have been working in our parish school this week, and our grandchildren are very excited about the concert tomorrow, which is why we will attend in the interests of supporting family, as well as from a ghastly fascination. I somehow fear that with no musical instrument in sight, and no indication of what other genre any of the team staff play, it will sound as they intend: very poppy, 'the kind music children love. '

I wish I could see what it might contribute to the parish. The tunes are banal in the extreme, and rocking backing tracks don't seem to be the kind of music to encourage children to come and sing and play at Mass.

Am I being too harsh? We have so much wonderful music, both liturgical and hymns, and secular songs for every age that have real melody, and contribute to vocabulary and general knowledge. I simply don't know why this stuff is encouraged.
JW

Re: I Sing Pop, 'Christian music project'

Post by JW »

Often the justification for using banal music in schools is to engage the children in worship music. I suspect that the opposite can happen and many older children switch off. Many of the songs taught in schools date back to the 70s and 80s, or are in that style, and these songs are viewed as old fashioned by older children.
JW
markyboy2000
Parish / Diocese: Middlesbro

Post by markyboy2000 »

I seriously doubt that adults trying to pander to children's tastes will impress or include them.
With this I Sing Pop! initiative, laudable as it is, I can't help wondering if it is the opportunity to make music, with all its electronic accutriments, and to make a recording of it, that is the draw rather than The Faith.
VML
Parish / Diocese: Clifton Diocese

Post by VML »

Well, I was prepared to hate this, and the 'beat' backing track was on while we waited, low and not loud. All 217 primary school children were around the altar and choir area, and the church set up as I imagine it has to be for a broadcast, with all cables stuck down, and sound desk and screens all sorted. The young animateur had the children's attention and had done a very good job teaching them the 7 or 8 songs, and the choreography was as you would expect. The loudest bit was the leader herself when she spoke a little close to her mike. The children sang very well, and while this was no Bernadette Farrell, the songs were right for the kind of thing they are doing, though not really of use for liturgy. There was variety, and even dynamics.
But... what was the most impressive thing was the catechesis.e.g. God's friends in the OT including David who sang lots of songs. Then the gifts of the Holy Spirit, spoken through, and a song about Joy.

I am sure it is an expensive venture, and bravely taken on just before the exam season. And I shall use the David analogy when I am trying to encourage some of our children to sing at Mass.
markyboy2000
Parish / Diocese: Middlesbro

Post by markyboy2000 »

Very glad to hear it was positive experience.