Lectionary for Sunday - the Holy Family - yr B

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

quaeritor

Lectionary for Sunday - the Holy Family - yr B

Post by quaeritor »

Not much time for your help on this, I'm afraid, but there seems to be some confusion about the texts for this Sunday - Liturgy and Music appears to have the texts which my humble "pew-fodder" Missal has for year A (it's the CTS New Missal, published 2011). My year B ones are quite different - including psalm 104 which doesn't appear to feature anywhere else in the whole cycle - so I don't have a setting!. However an advanced view of the parish bulletin shows the psalm and acclamation (which are the bits that concern me) as set for year A, although the first reading is from the right book and chapter (Eccl 3) but slightly different selection of verses!

Any clues, anyone?

Q
alan29

Re: Lectionary for Sunday - the Holy Family - yr B

Post by alan29 »

According to Universalis there are alternatives for all three readings and the psalm. The alternatives don't seem to be linked - do this lot or that lot. It looks like a free choice.
We shall be using the Year A psalm. I don't know about the readings.
Southern Comfort

Post by Southern Comfort »

In the original 1969 Ordo Lectionum Missae the feast of the Holy Family had a different Gospel for Years A, B and C. Everything else was common to all three years.

In 1981, the remainder of each formulary was added for Years B and C, with the previous Gospels for those years, but the new material was made ad libitum so that those still using the older Lectionary could continue with what they had. That's still the case today.
Nick Baty
Parish / Diocese: Formerly Our Lady Immaculate, Everton, Liverpool

Post by Nick Baty »

Very interesting, SC. We'll be sticking with Mr Inwood's "O blessed are those" which seems to fit both choices of first reading. Can't really see anyone singing "He, the Lord, is our God. He remembers his covenant for ever."
Ephrem Feeley
Parish / Diocese: Diocese of Meath

Post by Ephrem Feeley »

Can't figure out how to upload attachments, but I can forward the setting of Psalm 104: He the Lord is Our God that we use to anyone who wants it... It's a simple refrain in A minor for assembly, with psalm tone verses for cantor.
Terry Quinn
Parish / Diocese: St John the Baptist RC. Burnley

Post by Terry Quinn »

Nick Baty wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:44 am Very interesting, SC.(We'll be sticking with Mr Inwood's "O blessed are those" )which seems to fit both choices of first reading. Can't really see anyone singing "He, the Lord, is our God. He remembers his covenant for ever."
Paul Inwood’s version with its compelling accompaniment has been irresistible for me since the GBSmith book first appeared all those years ago.
Nick Baty

Post by Nick Baty »

We'll be using his later(?) one, pub OCP, which appears in several collections including Laudate.
nazard
Parish / Diocese: Clifton

Post by nazard »

Nick Baty wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:44 am ...Can't really see anyone singing "He, the Lord, is our God. He remembers his covenant for ever."
You had me worried, as that was what I had rehearsed, and it was too late to change. In the event, it went off well and the congregation picked up the response immediately. Perhaps you could give it a go next year?
Nick Baty

Post by Nick Baty »

Next year is Psalm 83!
nazard
Parish / Diocese: Clifton

Post by nazard »

Sorry - next year B - a while away yet!