Shalom song during the Sign of Peace

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

JW

Shalom song during the Sign of Peace

Post by JW »

Personally I'm uncomfortable with singing during the Sign of Peace. My view is that this should be a very simple and brief ceremony to acknowledge our unity before Christ. There are better places and times to celebrate our commitment to others than in the middle of Mass, which is primarily an act of worship and sacrifice. I know one priest who used to go around the whole congregation at the Sign of Peace, his reason was to make contact with those who escaped straight after Communion. Am I just being curmudgeonly? Any views? :?
JW
alan29

Re: Shalom song during the Sign of Peace

Post by alan29 »

Pretty sure the Missal knows nothing of singing during the peace.
And I seem to remember that there was an instruction a couple of years ago forbidding priests from leaving the sanctuary during it.
Southern Comfort

Post by Southern Comfort »

alan29 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:38 pm Pretty sure the Missal knows nothing of singing during the peace.
And I seem to remember that there was an instruction a couple of years ago forbidding priests from leaving the sanctuary during it.
Redemptionis Sacramentum, para 72, as long ago as 2004 !
High Peak
Parish / Diocese: Diocese of Nottingham

Post by High Peak »

JW wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:02 pm Personally I'm uncomfortable with singing during the Sign of Peace. My view is that this should be a very simple and brief ceremony to acknowledge our unity before Christ. There are better places and times to celebrate our commitment to others than in the middle of Mass, which is primarily an act of worship and sacrifice. I know one priest who used to go around the whole congregation at the Sign of Peace, his reason was to make contact with those who escaped straight after Communion. Am I just being curmudgeonly? Any views? :?
I agree...........https://grassrootsliturgist.blogspot.co ... peace.html :D