Ace Maria

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

JW

Ace Maria

Post by JW »

Just a heads up. Yesterday, for the umpteenth time, a Funeral Director sent me a draft order of service which included 'Ave Maria' played by the organist as a recessional. I asked the FD to check whether the family actually wanted 'As I kneel before you'. Sure enough they did. It's always worth clarifying to avoid upsetting the family.
JW
JW

Re: Ace Maria

Post by JW »

Just noticed the typo in the heading. It results from my phone thinking it can spell better than me! But many a true word...
JW
markyboy2000
Parish / Diocese: Middlesbro

Post by markyboy2000 »

Get the same thing regularly when family mean either of the Lourdes hymns
alan29

Post by alan29 »

Then theres the bride who wanted "that song from Robin Hood" expecting the schmaltzy Bryan Adams "Everything I do...." and instead got the silly bit of the Rossini overture that was used for the old B&W TV series.
I'm not altogether convinced it was a mistake.
alan29

Post by alan29 »

Then theres the bride who wanted "that song from Robin Hood" expecting the schmaltzy Bryan Adams "Everything I do...." and instead got the song that was used for the old B&W TV series.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2w7ALMIUy74
Peter

Post by Peter »

alan29 wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:18 pm Then theres the bride who wanted "that song from Robin Hood" expecting the schmaltzy Bryan Adams "Everything I do...." and instead got the silly bit of the Rossini overture that was used for the old B&W TV series.
The link in the second version of your post brought back a few memories, as I had that song on a 78 rpm record when I was about 8. I don't think it's by Rossini though, maybe you're thinking of the "Lone Ranger", though the Rossini extract was also used (with words) as the signature tune for a TV series about William Tell, which was pretty similar to one about Robin Hood also shown in the late 50s/early 60s.

Returning to the topic, I was asked to sing at a cousin's wedding several years ago: he wanted me to sing the Ave Maria, and when I asked which one he said "Oh, is there more than one?" When I sang a few bars of the Gounod setting he said "That's the one", so I asked about accompaniment, and he thought I could do it unaccompanied! I pointed out that the whole point of that piece is that it sits above a Bach prelude, so eventually he bought a second-hand electronic keyboard (it was a civil wedding in a Dutch stately home licensed for such things, so no organ available), got a friend to play it and then sold it afterwards. The volume wasn't particularly loud, so I had to watch the player's left hand to keep in time, a pretty fraught experience!
alan29

Post by alan29 »

You're right, it most certainly isn't Rossini ..... Not enough repeats.