Monastic Musicians Romsey Abbey plans

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

organist
Parish / Diocese: Westminster cathedral

Monastic Musicians Romsey Abbey plans

Post by organist »

Liz and I thoroughly enjoyed the week at Belmont Abbey, Hereford. Being able to take part in the daily office and Mass in that beautiful church is very precious to us. Dom Alan Rees always comes to mind and in fact it was the 12th anniversary of his passing. I did find that the 6.30 a.m. start on two of the days was too tiring. There was time to draw and play the wonderful organ. Robert Sholl played it when he spoke about Messiaen and Part (I very much prefer the latter).
George Arthur Richford from Romsey Abbey was a great inspiration. I had not expected to receive such helpful advice about the problems I currently face where I play (lack of singers, Murray Mass setting most weeks, school choir poorly instructed) It was good too to reflect on the music we already use (I have actually met many of those composers over the years) and discover new music especially George Arthur's. Thomas Muir shared his music with us and there was a delightful final evening of music and wine with the Belmont community.
A real highlight of the week for me was singing some of the Orthodox liturgy in the Abbey with Angie from Ampleforth. It was also lovely to visit the chained library at Hereford cathedral to see a mediaeval chant book with instructions for the choir (Thomas Muir and Brother Alban got very excited about this - like schoolboys!) and the Mappa Mundi. Tea with the Dean with his lovely garden down to the river Wye was followed by the Dean showing us the superb stained glass commemorating Thomas Traherne and the St Ethelbert shrine. Choral evensong was followed by prayers at the shrine of St Thomas Cantelupe - a fitting end to the visit.
George was greatly taken by the Abbey liturgy and has invited us to Romsey Abbey October 22 to 26. This will be very special and it will include the feast day of the local saint. It is half term week. A promised visit to St Cecilia's Ryde will be great and perhaps we could visit Quarr as well? Brother Alban is looking at offfering help to those starting out in monastic music.
I reported all this to the winter assembly of the Society of St Gregory and there was much enthusiasm for reawakening the links between the 2 groups This year's MM cost £265 for the whole week including full board. Do put it in your diary. :D :D
VML
Parish / Diocese: Clifton Diocese

Re: Monastic Musicians Romsey Abbey plans

Post by VML »

That all sounds wonderful.