Confirmation Mass

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

VML
Parish / Diocese: Clifton Diocese

Confirmation Mass

Post by VML »

I am looking for guidance on planning a Confirmation Mass in the light of whatever changes have happened in the last two or three years.
We will sing the Gloria, and the Mass. But will the Mass be the Mass of the day, which will be Tuesday week 9 OT, so a first reading about Tobit taking a bath and his wife undertaking women's work? If so will the psalm be relevant to Confirmation?

I looked for guidance on both our Clifton Diocese site and CBCEW, and the search facility on the latter interpreted Confirmation as Information...
High Peak
Parish / Diocese: Diocese of Nottingham

Re: Confirmation Mass

Post by High Peak »

VML wrote: Tue May 02, 2017 11:04 am I am looking for guidance on planning a Confirmation Mass in the light of whatever changes have happened in the last two or three years.
We will sing the Gloria, and the Mass. But will the Mass be the Mass of the day, which will be Tuesday week 9 OT, so a first reading about Tobit taking a bath and his wife undertaking women's work? If so will the psalm be relevant to Confirmation?

I looked for guidance on both our Clifton Diocese site and CBCEW, and the search facility on the latter interpreted Confirmation as Information...
I am in the middle of the final touches of our deanery Confirmation Mass. We have, in previous years, not been restricted to the Scripture readings of day; rather we have been free to use Scripture pertaining to the Sacrament. We use Acts 1:3-8, Psalm 103, Luke 10: 21-24.
mcb
Parish / Diocese: Our Lady's, Lillington

Post by mcb »

VML wrote: Tue May 02, 2017 11:04 am I am looking for guidance on planning a Confirmation Mass in the light of whatever changes have happened in the last two or three years.

The Missal and Lectionary both know about a thing called the Ritual Mass for the Conferral of Confirmation, and there's a selection of appropriate readings. I can't see an England and Wales Lectionary on line, but this page lists the options for the US, which I don't suppose will be hugely different.
VML
Parish / Diocese: Clifton Diocese

Post by VML »

I have now clarified with the diocese that our bishop does prefer readings of the day, as we have had for the last six years.
Actually, the story of Tobit is a good yarn about acceptance, -so long as we have a good reader......

Thank you for your help, especially mob, who in an earlier post pointed me to the relevant page in the Missal for the Confirmation Communion verse.