Pentecost sequence.

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

alan29

Pentecost sequence.

Post by alan29 »

Looking for a simple, congregational and above all joyful setting of the sequence.
Any pointers?
JW

Re: Pentecost sequence.

Post by JW »

We've used this in the past. More reflective than joyful but it's simple and it works.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JW
Ephrem Feeley
Parish / Diocese: Diocese of Meath

Post by Ephrem Feeley »

This is the one that we use in our parish. It moves along nicely.
http://www.giamusic.com/search_details. ... le_id=1427

Of course, the words might have to be adapted to suit the UK translation...
Peter

Post by Peter »

Veni Sancte Spiritus (Laudate 301) is the setting we've always used at my church and I intend to use it again this year. At risk of going off topic, has anyone any bright ideas for the Corpus Christi sequence?
Ephrem Feeley
Parish / Diocese: Diocese of Meath

Post by Ephrem Feeley »

At risk of going off topic, has anyone any bright ideas for the Corpus Christi sequence?
We use the tune Jesu Dulcis Memoria, which works well with the "Behold the Bread of Angels sent" text. One of the verses has an extra line, so we repeat the last line of the tune.
blackthorn fairy
Parish / Diocese: Our Lady of the Sacred Heart Wellingborough Northamptonshire

Post by blackthorn fairy »

As above, we use Holy Spirit Lord of light (tune Veni Sanct Spiritus - Samuel Webbe) words translated by Edward Caswall, which is in Celebration for Everyone 261. We sing it as a congregational hymn in the right place. Works well.
blackthorn fairy
Parish / Diocese: Our Lady of the Sacred Heart Wellingborough Northamptonshire

Post by blackthorn fairy »

As for the Corpus Christi sequence, that has me stumped. I've tried to find something suitable and failed - it has many verses which are irregular. On a more ambitious note, if you have a good choir, you could try Finzi's Lo the full final sacrifice (which is based partly on this sequence in a translation by Richard Crashaw). I've sung it a few times - it's quite wonderful.
nazard
Parish / Diocese: Clifton

Post by nazard »

blackthorn fairy wrote: Fri May 05, 2017 2:56 pm As above, we use Holy Spirit Lord of light (tune Veni Sanct Spiritus - Samuel Webbe) words translated by Edward Caswall, which is in Celebration for Everyone 261. We sing it as a congregational hymn in the right place. Works well.
So do we. The congregation join in with enthusiasm.
alan29

Post by alan29 »

nazard wrote: Fri May 05, 2017 10:13 pm
blackthorn fairy wrote: Fri May 05, 2017 2:56 pm As above, we use Holy Spirit Lord of light (tune Veni Sanct Spiritus - Samuel Webbe) words translated by Edward Caswall, which is in Celebration for Everyone 261. We sing it as a congregational hymn in the right place. Works well.
So do we. The congregation join in with enthusiasm.
That particular tune is one I really, really dislike. All those crotchets, one after another. There must be an alternative ........
High Peak
Parish / Diocese: Diocese of Nottingham

Post by High Peak »

alan29 wrote: Sat May 06, 2017 3:01 pm That particular tune is one I really, really dislike. All those crotchets, one after another. There must be an alternative ........
I have found recordings on YouTube that uses essentially the same tune as found in Celebration Hymnal, but with a few dotted crotchets rather than the relentless stream of crotchets. A slight improvement.
Gwyn
Parish / Diocese: Archdiocese of Cardiff

Post by Gwyn »

There's a useful tune named Prompto Gentes Animo that can be found in the English Hymnal (1933 ed) where it's number 653. This tune fits perfectly.
It's a tune that was used - maybe still is - by spikey Anglicans as a Kyrie Eleison.

Ah! The tune's been shifted in The New English Hymnal (198* ed) to number 139 where, behold, it's set to Come, thou Holy Spirit, come.
Hare
Parish / Diocese: Angouleme Diocese, France.

Post by Hare »

The CC Sequence is optional. We've never used it....
JW

Post by JW »

Hare wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 6:56 pm The CC Sequence is optional. We've never used it....
We've never used it either. In fact CC is a dead duck in our parish, despite priests reinstating some form of procession from time to time. As regards the Pentecost Sequence, I'll mention the Veni Sancte Spritus by Walker and the one from Taize, for the sake of completeness. The refrain / verse structure lends itself to congregational participation but you need a good soprano or tenor cantor to carry off the verses well.
JW
Hare
Parish / Diocese: Angouleme Diocese, France.

Post by Hare »

JW wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 7:19 pm
Hare wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 6:56 pm The CC Sequence is optional. We've never used it....
We've never used it either. In fact CC is a dead duck in our parish, despite priests reinstating some form of procession from time to time. As regards the Pentecost Sequence, I'll mention the Veni Sancte Spritus by Walker and the one from Taize, for the sake of completeness. The refrain / verse structure lends itself to congregational participation but you need a good soprano or tenor cantor to carry off the verses well.
We used the Taize one by request at a Diaconal ordination a few years ago. I can't find my copy but recall that the verses took a bit of work for the cantor.
alan29

Post by alan29 »

Joyful?