International Hymn Choices

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

PhloridaPhil
Parish / Diocese: St Lawrence, Diocese of St Petersburg

International Hymn Choices

Post by PhloridaPhil »

I began several (3)of this morning's 4 Masses with a setting of Joncas' fine hymn text 'Three Days' to the Gustav Holst tune which UK folk will know as 'I vow to thee my country'. I mused that I had to travel to USA to play this great tune whereas while I was in UK I found no real liturgical use of the patriotic text so beloved of Anglicans.

Later in the same Mass we sang 'The Lord of the Dance' which has a popular Shaker tune originating in 19th century America. Comments after Mass revealed that no one had come across this before but that they liked it enough to join in enthusiastically. 'Coals to Newcastle' came to mind!

It just shows me more and more how difficult it is to choose the right hymns! You can't presume anything, can you?
oopsorganist

Re: International Hymn Choices

Post by oopsorganist »

Those are good tunes. People would be compelled to join in or to listen. Lord of the Dance is so awkward - I heard it sung in public in a folk club a lot of years ago by an incompetent group who were booed out of the building and that has always stayed in my memory. In Sydney Carter's Obituary is states this was the most sung Assembly hymn in British schools once - we did not sing at in our school though. Not ever I don't think.
And then one summer school in Norfolk, it was brought to the front of our Liturgies and I heard it anew - we should all be singing that every Sunday. See Gynn's post about that. Sydney Carter was good stuff.
Yesterday and quite surprisingly, in that I have never heard this sung but know it from the hymn book, the final hymn in a very Latin Acclamation Mass, was "The Summons" John Bell, and the congregation knew it very well and sang it lustily... there's hope yet.
.. and then it was told, that a New Encyclical has been issued by the Pope re Celibacy. Apparently it is called "One Bed, One Body" . Thas is how to ruin good hymns!
uh oh!
VML
Parish / Diocese: Clifton Diocese

Post by VML »

A friend of ours is of Church of Ireland stock. She went over after many years away, and played for a relative's funeral. She was most surprised that they simply did not know Crimond. I believe it was little known in UK until the Queen chose it for her wedding in 1947.
Gwyn
Parish / Diocese: Archdiocese of Cardiff

Post by Gwyn »

When watching Holy Mass from the EWTN chapel I'm often delighted to find that a dormant hymn has be revitalised by simply changing the tune to another like-metered one. The converse is true too of course, Faith of our Fathers sung to St Catherine doesn't cut the custard in the same way as the tune generally used in the UK.
:D
blackthorn fairy
Parish / Diocese: Our Lady of the Sacred Heart Wellingborough Northamptonshire

Post by blackthorn fairy »

Another one that can catch people out depending on whether they are from the RC or CofE tradition is Lord enthroned in heavenly splendour - a super hymn, which we sing to Regent Square, and that's fine. However our ex-Anglican clergy are used to the wonderful St Helen (not in our book unfortunately) so I have to remind them if it's on the list, so they don't get caught out. I suppose I could play St Helen from my NEH - that would be terrific! Trouble is, everyone knows it to Regent Square. Ah well...
Gwyn

Post by Gwyn »

I love St Helen. Go for it B.F., it takes no time at all to teach it to the punters in the pews.
justMary
Parish / Diocese: Republic of Ireland

Post by justMary »

Faith of our Fathers sung to St Catherine doesn't cut the custard in the same way as the tune generally used in the UK.
Ahh, but they're thinking of the Pilgrim fathers at the time. Same words but a totally cultural baggage and implied meaning. Many of the US people singing the hymn would be horrified if they knew where it came from and drop it like a hot potato. So the different tune is kinda appropriate.
Gwyn

Post by Gwyn »

Ahh, but they're thinking of the Pilgrim fathers at the time. Same words but a totally cultural baggage and implied meaning. Many of the US people singing the hymn would be horrified if they knew where it came from and drop it like a hot potato. So the different tune is kinda appropriate.
A good point nicely expressed, Mary. :D