Easter Octave

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

PhloridaPhil
Parish / Diocese: St Lawrence, Diocese of St Petersburg

Easter Octave

Post by PhloridaPhil »

The week between Easter Sunday and the following 'Divine Mercy' Sunday is the Easter Octave. I have often heard it described as a 'week of Sundays.'

This being the case and since Sunday is a Solemnity should we not also be reciting/singing the Creed in addition to the double alleluias at weekday Masses?

Neither my faith nor, I suspect, the kingdom of God will fall if my experience has been incomplete over the period of my existence ... but I raise the question in any case!
Hare
Parish / Diocese: Angouleme Diocese, France.

Re: Easter Octave

Post by Hare »

My understanding (FWIW) is that the Gloria is said/sung on every day of Easter week, but the Creed / Renewal of Baptismal Promises only on Easter Sunday and the 2nd Sunday of Easter - and that the Dismissal with double Alleluias is used through to Pentecost Sunday.
Peter

Post by Peter »

Hare wrote: Wed May 03, 2017 7:13 am My understanding (FWIW) is that the Gloria is said/sung on every day of Easter week, but the Creed ... only on Easter Sunday and the 2nd Sunday of Easter...
That's what my Weekday Missal says. However, it also adds that the Easter Sequence may be said or sung every day during Easter week - is that enough of an extra sing for you, PP? What tune you sing it to (apart from plainchant) is another matter: it's not exactly a common metre!
PhloridaPhil
Parish / Diocese: St Lawrence, Diocese of St Petersburg

Post by PhloridaPhil »

I am aware of what the Missal says but it does seem something of an anomaly. On all other Solemnities the Creed is said whether it be Sunday or weekday. When you celebrate an octave of Solemnities it is only Sunday?
Hare

Post by Hare »

Peter wrote: Wed May 03, 2017 10:32 pm
Hare wrote: Wed May 03, 2017 7:13 am My understanding (FWIW) is that the Gloria is said/sung on every day of Easter week, but the Creed ... only on Easter Sunday and the 2nd Sunday of Easter...
That's what my Weekday Missal says. However, it also adds that the Easter Sequence may be said or sung every day during Easter week - is that enough of an extra sing for you, PP? What tune you sing it to (apart from plainchant) is another matter: it's not exactly a common metre!
The only way you can sing it other than to plainchant is to use a metrical version - eg O Sons and daughters let us sing; Bring, all ye dear-bought nations, bring... We use one from Decani's "Ressurexit" to the Stainer tune "Cross of Jesus"
Hare

Post by Hare »

PhloridaPhil wrote: Thu May 04, 2017 1:32 pm I am aware of what the Missal says but it does seem something of an anomaly. On all other Solemnities the Creed is said whether it be Sunday or weekday. When you celebrate an octave of Solemnities it is only Sunday?
I am with you now - interesting point! I wonder if there is anything to do with the fact that at the Vigil and Easter Day the Renewal Of Baptismal Promises is used rather than the creed....?