Offertory hymns

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

alan29

Re: Offertory hymns

Post by alan29 »

And of course there is always the option of something instrumental.
Peter

Post by Peter »

Southern Comfort wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:24 pm The best hymns for this time are actually those that reflect back upon the Liturgy of the Word we have just celebrated, which means that they will relate to the scriptures of the day. We celebrate the Liturgy of the Eucharist in the light of what we have celebrated in the Liturgy of the Word. The bread that we will break and share is a response to the Word that has been broken open for us.
I agree, and that principle guides my choice wherever possible. It's just that this thread was (initially at any rate) about hymns specific to the Preparation of Gifts, so I felt it worth commenting where some of the suggestions seemed to me particularly inappropriate.
pdsfd
Parish / Diocese: Salford

Post by pdsfd »

Some hymns can sound better sung during the Preparation of the Gifts than as a Processional/Recessional hymn. I can think of a few; 'O worship the Lord', 'Surrexit Christus' by Taize, 'The Servant King' (especially on Palm Sunday) and 'Will you come and follow me' by John Bell.
Gwyn
Parish / Diocese: Archdiocese of Cardiff

Post by Gwyn »

"Angel voices ever singing round Thy throne of light"; now there's a cracker of a hymn for the Prep of the Gifts.
Howard Baker
Parish / Diocese: Hexham and Newcastle

Post by Howard Baker »

Peter said, a while back, that '...bread and wine to be transformed' was, strictly speaking wrong (thus making that Offertory hymn unusable?) as the elements are to be 'transubstantiated'. To nit-pick: 'transformed', in so far as it means just 'changed' is ok. Transubstantiation is one way (from Thomist philosophy's use of the distinction between substance and accidents) to understand the change. Catholics are meant believe the bread becomes the real Body of Christ; they don't have to believe that the transformation must be understood by means of a substance-accidents separation - a separation which many Catholic philosophers would dispute.
HB (Solemnity of Corpus Christi)