Drowning them in the Sea

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

PhloridaPhil
Parish / Diocese: St Lawrence, Diocese of St Petersburg

Drowning them in the Sea

Post by PhloridaPhil »

My knee jerk reaction this year (in USA) was to go straight from the 3rd reading into the Canticle without the 'The Word of the Lord'. This had been my UK practice but in USA it seems that the flow is broken up by having the dialogue after 'it was then that they sang this song'.

Can someone help me to rediscover my sanity?
alan29

Re: Drowning them in the Sea

Post by alan29 »

Thats what we always do. I thought "The word of thge Lord" was meant to be omitted.
My sanity is challenged by the mass slaughter that is celebrated in both the reading and the gleefully bloodthirsty canticle that follows it.
And don't get me started about the ethics of Abraham and Isaac. Happily we didn't have that one this year.
VML
Parish / Diocese: Clifton Diocese

Post by VML »

I used to refer to this canticle as the Gotcha one.... Very discomforting.
blackthorn fairy
Parish / Diocese: Our Lady of the Sacred Heart Wellingborough Northamptonshire

Post by blackthorn fairy »

Yes - I always thought that it should follw straight on. In my Missal, the rubric clearly states 'The following Psalm is taken up immediately.' No mistake there.
JW

Post by JW »

This one is quite disquieting, especially if you have a young female cantor singing it. They don't seem to mind though.

It was a little odd this year as we now have a 30 second pause after each reading before the psalm, so it was a bit strange launching straight into it.
JW
Southern Comfort

Post by Southern Comfort »

PhloridaPhil wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:12 am My knee jerk reaction this year (in USA) was to go straight from the 3rd reading into the Canticle without the 'The Word of the Lord'. This had been my UK practice but in USA it seems that the flow is broken up by having the dialogue after 'it was then that they sang this song'.

Can someone help me to rediscover my sanity?
Sorry for delayed replay, caused by tech problems with the forum which our devoted team have now sorted out.

The USA Lectionary has been wrong ever since 1970. They know about this error (because I told them back in 1991, and they acknowledged the mistake) and have simply not bothered to fix it (two revised editions later) !!!