Easter Sunday morning Masses

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

alan29

Re: Easter Sunday morning Masses

Post by alan29 »

What is noticeable in our place is that numbers for the Vigil have declined - we start at 8.30. We still get 100-150, but that is still half empty.
But on the other hand we get a full house at the 11.00 am on Easter morning. No doubt something to do with every child being given a Cadburys cream egg!
We are fortunate in having an assistant priest who is a fine singer and who is more than happy to spend a hour or so being coached through the Exultet.
JW

Post by JW »

High Peak wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:11 pm Paschale Solemnitatis is very clear about this. There is no "pastoral provision":

‘The entire celebration of the Easter Vigil takes place at night. It should not begin before nightfall; it should end before daybreak on Sunday’. This rule is to be taken according to its strictest sense. Reprehensible are those abuses and practices that have crept into many places in violation of this ruling….”
(Paschale Solemnitatis 78)

For those for whom it is considered too late for reasons of age or frailty then there is the Easter Sunday morning Mass. There is nothing wrong with this.

In my experience, those who complain about the Easter Vigil being held in darkness are the ones who complain that we no longer have Christmas midnight Mass. Or they will attend parish social events that go on to very late into the evening.
We have no complaints about Christmas Midnight Mass because we still provide one, which many of our elderly are unable to attend because of the late hour near a town centre. Neither do our elderly attend parish social events late into the evening. They are, in fact, a very saintly bunch for whom I have the deepest respect and we should help them to take part in the Church's most sacred liturgy of the year. They're the ones who spend hours getting everything ready, and who are keeping the parish going throughout the year, never asking for any reward. We are all ministers after all, and that means servants to each other.

The rubric is clear as you say, I have commented on it once and will not repeat myself. Many clear rubrics have been honoured more in breach than observation, many get changed over time. But the Catholic Church is not a set of rubrics but a Church of love and mercy.

That is my last comment on this particular thread.
JW
alan29

Post by alan29 »

JW wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:29 pm
High Peak wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:11 pm Paschale Solemnitatis is very clear about this. There is no "pastoral provision":

‘The entire celebration of the Easter Vigil takes place at night. It should not begin before nightfall; it should end before daybreak on Sunday’. This rule is to be taken according to its strictest sense. Reprehensible are those abuses and practices that have crept into many places in violation of this ruling….”
(Paschale Solemnitatis 78)

For those for whom it is considered too late for reasons of age or frailty then there is the Easter Sunday morning Mass. There is nothing wrong with this.

In my experience, those who complain about the Easter Vigil being held in darkness are the ones who complain that we no longer have Christmas midnight Mass. Or they will attend parish social events that go on to very late into the evening.
We have no complaints about Christmas Midnight Mass because we still provide one, which many of our elderly are unable to attend because of the late hour near a town centre. Neither do our elderly attend parish social events late into the evening. They are, in fact, a very saintly bunch for whom I have the deepest respect and we should help them to take part in the Church's most sacred liturgy of the year. They're the ones who spend hours getting everything ready, and who are keeping the parish going throughout the year, never asking for any reward. We are all ministers after all, and that means servants to each other.

The rubric is clear as you say, I have commented on it once and will not repeat myself. Many clear rubrics have been honoured more in breach than observation, many get changed over time. But the Catholic Church is not a set of rubrics but a Church of love and mercy.

That is my last comment on this particular thread.
Bit in bold - good heavens! Is it?