A memorable funeral of a SSG member

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

organist
Parish / Diocese: Westminster cathedral

A memorable funeral of a SSG member

Post by organist »

It is sad to have to report the sudden death of Gerrard Goodhind as the age of 65. Gerrard sang bass in the choir of Our Lady of the Angels, Erith, Kent for many years. I knew him through the Catenians as a dear and much loved friend, secretary of Blackheath and Chislehurst circle and outstanding editor of the newsletter for Province 7. He is indeed a great loss to all of us. At his funeral the celebrant was Brother Martin Mikuskiewicz and the church choir lead by Christine Bould and accompanied by Michael King at the organ sang Psalm 84 arranged by Gerrard’s brother David and “The Lord is my shepherd” by Howard Goodall. The hymns were “Lord for tomorrow and its needs”, “On eagle’s wings” ,“My God accept my heart this day”, “O bread of heaven” and “Thine be the glory”. Paul Wellicome, Liz and I sang in the choir.
In the prayers his grandchildren said “Help us all to think... that Grandad is in heaven, singing hymns in the choir, flying aeroplanes and enjoying a John Smiths with the angels”. :D Gerrard always stayed to listen to the organ voluntary and so it was appropriate that he left the church accompanied by “Nun danket alle Gott” by Sigfrid Karg-Elert. Our prayers are with Pat and Sarah and Claire his daughters and their families.
VML
Parish / Diocese: Clifton Diocese

Re: A memorable funeral of a SSG member

Post by VML »

A beautiful tribute, Thanks.
organist
Parish / Diocese: Westminster cathedral

Post by organist »

I forgot to say that Martin Hall was organist at Erith for many years.
Southern Comfort

Post by Southern Comfort »

organist wrote:I forgot to say that Martin Hall was organist at Erith for many years.

Yes, you did, "dear boy" !