SSG Assembly - 14/15 October in Liverpool

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

MaryR

SSG Assembly - 14/15 October in Liverpool

Post by MaryR »

The Society's Annual Assembly will take place at the on Saturday 15 October at the Metropolitan Cathedral of Christ the King. The day begins with Morning Prayer and ends with Mass and a Cathedral Tour. There will be a talk entitled ‘Liturgy and Imagination’ by Dr Christopher McElroy (Cathedral Music Director) at 10.45 am, followed by a session to rehearse the music for Mass, and lunch at 12.30 pm.

Archbishop Emeritus Patrick Kelly will give the Annual Crichton Memorial Lecture, entitled 'Presiding, formed, challenged, and enriched in Liverpool’s Metropolitan Cathedral of Christ the King’ at 1.30 pm and, after a short AGM, we will gather in the Blessed Sacrament Chapel for Mass. If you don't need to rush away, there will also be a guided tour of the Cathedral after Mass.

For those that want to make a trip of it, some of us will gather on Friday evening (14 October) for a tour of the Anglican Cathedral at 4 pm, followed by Choral Evensong and then dinner at a local restaurant.

To book a place (£20 for the Saturday including lunch – concessions and parish group reductions available), please email me at bookings@ssg.org.uk or book online here.
Mary
organist
Parish / Diocese: Westminster cathedral

Re: SSG Assembly - 14/15 October in Liverpool

Post by organist »

Sorry to have missed this but as Provincial President of the Catenians Province 7 we had our provincial weekend on the Isle of Wight. Mass was at Quarr Abbey which was lovely apart from the celebrant the Prior leaving us after the first reading. Where had he gone? To turn the sound system on! :D I was at the organ wondering what was happening. For one horrible moment I thought he was objecting to Liz singing the psalm as only male servers were allowed but that was not the case. Apparently it is unheard of for hymns to be sing at the Abbey. We sang the Duffy Gloria, psalm setting by Eugene Monaghan and simple plainchant Sanctus and Agnus Dei.