Canon Peter Jones

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

keitha

Canon Peter Jones

Post by keitha »

I'm very sorry to inform members of the Society of StGregory and contributors to, and readers of this forum that Canon Peter Jones, priest of the Archdiocese of Birmingham, composer and a previous secretary of SSG and contributor to this forum died peacefully this morning after a long illness. May he rest in peace.

The arrangements for Father Peter's requiem will be posted as soon as possible. Please pray for the repose of his soul and for those who cared for him.
Keith Ainsworth
mcb
Parish / Diocese: Our Lady's, Lillington

Re: Canon Peter Jones

Post by mcb »

Very sad news indeed. Not many people have done more for music and liturgy in the Church in this country.
Southern Comfort

Post by Southern Comfort »

A tremendous loss. The following notice was sent earlier today to publishers, colleagues and friends in the USA.

Peter Jones died peacefully this morning (Sunday April 10) after a second unsuccessful battle with non-Hodgkins lymphoma. His first course of treatment two years ago appeared to have worked, but unfortunately the cancer reappeared several months later.

Peter was born in 1951. He taught music at Cotton College, a former minor seminary in the Midlands, now closed, before deciding to try his vocation to the priesthood. He was sent for studies to the Beda College in Rome, where many English late vocations were sent at that time, and was ordained a priest for the archdiocese of Birmingham on his 40th birthday, June 29, 1991. He would have celebrated his 65th birthday and silver jubilee as a priest this summer. After several inner-city parish assignments in the Birmingham area, Peter was delighted to be sent in 2013 as pastor to Holy Redeemer, Pershore, where the distinguished liturgist J.D. Crichton had ministered for many years.

At 6 foot 5 inches with big bones to match, a full beard and moustache, and a way of expressing himself in a forthright manner with a delightful Black Country accent, he could appear somewhat forbidding to those who did not know him. But underneath the exterior was a kind and compassionate man who was a good friend to many and who enjoyed his red wine and his cigarettes. A major heart attack which almost killed him some 20 years ago made him change his lifestyle for a while, but he soon returned to normal.

Peter first came to real prominence with the "Coventry Gloria", often known as the "Jones Gloria", which Paul Inwood commissioned him to write for the Papal Mass with John Paul II at Coventry Airport, Pentecost 1982. The bouncy refrain and accessible verses endeared it to many on both sides of the Atlantic. A revision to fit the 2010 text was almost as successful as the original. Other notable pieces included his beautiful, reflective Magnificat setting with an ostinato refrain "The Almighty works marvels for me; holy his name, holy his name" and superimposed verses, and "We praise you, O God", an energetic, rhythmical, metrical version of the Te Deum which goes "as fast as seems reasonable" !

Peter was a member of the "St Thomas More Group" of composers, founder and chair of the Archdiocese of Birmingham Music Committee, and undertook much formation work with parish musicians all over the diocese during a period of over 20 years. Editor of the Society of St Gregory journal "Music and Liturgy" from 1981 to 1987, he taught music at the seminary at Oscott College, Birmingham for a number of years, and was Director of Music for the Papal Mass with Benedict XVI at Cofton Park, Birmingham, in September 2010.

May he rest in peace.
organist
Parish / Diocese: Westminster cathedral

Post by organist »

That is sad news indeed. A wonderful person to meet and his music will live on! May he rest in peace.
MaryR

Post by MaryR »

I first came across Peter when he was in his teens. He lived in Lillington and was at school at Leamington College for Boys. For a time, he played the organ in my parish, Our Lady, Lillington and I have a dim memory of a gangly youth accompanying the choir every Sunday. It was not until some 20 or so years later that our paths crossed again and in the years since then I have worked with him and shared many happy times.

Peter was a great teacher and was never happier than when he was on the road around the diocese delivering workshops on liturgy and music. He was a wise and gentle man, a wonderfully talented musician and composer who could be grumpy and irrational at times, but who cared deeply about the People of God. Whilst he was passionate about how we should do liturgy, he recognised that patience was needed and that things would happen in God's good time, as he said to me once. Above all, Peter honoured his vow of obedience to his Bishop. Whatever his frustrations, he remained an obedient servant.

Peter taught me such a lot; he was a source of great knowledge and wise counsel, even if he sometimes said things I didn't want to hear! He was my friend and I shall miss him enormously. I was reminded this morning that the last thing he said when I visited him on Easter Monday was "Until we merrily meet in heaven". He knew he didn't have long and I think he was at peace with that idea.

Until we merrily meet in heaven, rest in peace, Peter.
Mary
VML
Parish / Diocese: Clifton Diocese

Post by VML »

Lovely memories Mary. Rest in peace Fr Peter.
Southern Comfort

A link to five recordings of Peter's work:
Coventry Gloria
Holy People
Magnificat
Reproaches
We praise you, O God
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/86q1yqhn44su7ux/AAAXcZxq4UBKb26tM3V5xbIja?dl=0
dunstan

Post by dunstan »

The first time I met Fr Peter was at a liturgy training session at St Thomas More, Coventry. He started by reading us the gospel reading that we had last Sunday, explaining that any liturgical practice is based on the simple message: "It is the Lord". If what we are doing helps people recognise The Lord then we're on the right lines.
May he rest in peace.
It's not a generation gap, it's a taste gap.
Southern Comfort

For those who have not yet seen them, there are some very nice tributes from friends on both sides of "The Pond" in this thread:

http://www.praytellblog.com/index.php/2016/04/10/canon-peter-jones-composer-of-the-jones-gloria-dies/
oopsorganist

Post by oopsorganist »

Adding my prayers and respects for Peter Jones.
uh oh!
keitha

Post by keitha »

Just to confirm that Fr Peter will be brought into Holy Redeemer, Pershore for a Parish and Deanery Requiem Mass at 7pm on Monday 2 May. His funeral mass, at which Archbishop Bernard Longley will preside, will be at St Chad's Cathedral, Birmingham at noon on Tuesday 3 May. May he rest in peace.
Keith Ainsworth
contrabordun

Post by contrabordun »

Very sorry to hear the news - a great labourer in our particular vineyard and one who will be much missed.
Paul Hodgetts
organist
Parish / Diocese: Westminster cathedral

Post by organist »

Saying a prayer for him - the funeral is today! The angels are rejoicing and singing Coventry Gloria? :D
Hare
Parish / Diocese: Angouleme Diocese, France.

Post by Hare »

For the benefit of those of us who were unable to attend, can anyone supply details of the music at the Requiem Mass please?
Southern Comfort

Hare wrote:For the benefit of those of us who were unable to attend, can anyone supply details of the music at the Requiem Mass please?

Requiem Mass in Holy Redeemer Parish, Pershore for the parish and the deanery
Monday 2 May 2016, 7:00pm

Procession into the Church: Hymn for the Holy Year of Mercy (Misericordes sicut Pater)
Responsorial Psalm: Your love is finer than life (Marty Haugen)
Gospel Acclamation: Salisbury Acclamation (Christopher Walker)
Holy, holy and Memorial Acclamation: A Parish Mass (Peter Jones, 2011)
Great Amen: chant
Breaking of Bread: Aston Lamb of God (Peter Jones, 2011)
Communion: Take and eat (Michael Joncas)
Communion Thanksgiving Hymn: Guide me, O thou great Redeemer
Closing chant: Regina caeli (plainchant)
The clergy present also sang the plainchant Salve Regina outside the church as Peter's coffin was placed in the hearse

Funeral Mass in the Metropolitan Cathedral and Basilica of St Chad, Birmingham
Tuesday 3 May 2016, 12 noon

Entrance Song: Out of Darkness (Christopher Walker)
Introit: Requiem aeternam (plainchant, with verses as in Graduale Romanum, 1974)
Penitential Act: Rite III with Kyrie XVI (plainchant)
Responsorial Psalm: Ps 22/23 (Gelineau) with R/ His goodness shall follow me always to the end of my days
Gospel Acclamation: Alleluia 6F (plainchant) with verse Ego sum resurrectio et vita (plainchant antiphon)
Holy, holy and Memorial Acclamation: "In Pace" Acclamations (Christopher Walker)
Great Amen: chant
Breaking of Bread: "In Pace" setting (Christopher Wallker)
Communion: (i) Lux aeterna (plainchant antiphon)
(ii) Magnificat (The almighty works marvels for me — Peter Jones)
(iii) Unless a grain (Bernadette Farrell)
Sprinkling of the coffin: I know that my Redeemer lives (John Hatton, sung to Gonfalon Royal)
Exit procession of the coffin: Song of Farewell (May the choirs of angels — Ernest Sands)