Liturgical music in London

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

promisedland

Liturgical music in London

Post by promisedland »

Hi guys,

New to this forum!

I've recently moved from my native Ireland to London, and I'm interested in becoming as involved in liturgical music over here as I was back home. Can anyone point me in the direction of any choirs - traditional, contemporary, it doesn't matter - who'd be looking for members?

I'm 28 y.o., amateur composer, tenor voice, guitarist ... good sense of humour etc....

CM
'Cross the river to the other side
musicus

Post by musicus »

Welcome to the forum! Thanks for your post - we look forward to many more.

A tenor looking for a choir? It's usually the other way around :lol:

I don't live in London, but if I were you, I would take my time, sample a few Sunday Masses here and there, talk with people, pray, etc, before finally choosing. As you can imagine, you will find all manner of musical and liturgical styles on offer. Even more important than these, in my experience, is the degree of Chistian love (both accepting and challenging) to be found in each local community.

Good luck!

Musicus (moderator)
Ros Wood
Parish / Diocese: Christ the King Chingford - Brentwood Diocese

Post by Ros Wood »

London's a big place. Where abouts?
promisedland

Post by promisedland »

I'm in Earl's Court / west Kensington area, but I'm willing to look further afield! I've attended the Tridentine Mass at Brompton Oratory for the past few Sundays...
musicus

Post by musicus »

promisedland wrote:I'm in Earl's Court / west Kensington area, but I'm willing to look further afield! I've attended the Tridentine Mass at Brompton Oratory for the past few Sundays...

They have a very fine choir, of course (Lord of the Rings soundtrack and all that), but I wouldn't imagine that there would be much call for your guitar!

M
promisedland

Post by promisedland »

Quite true, I can't imagine my guitar fitting in...

That was why I thought I should broaden my search a little!

CM
musicus

Post by musicus »

Any suggestions or recommendations, folks?
Tsume Tsuyu

Post by Tsume Tsuyu »

promisedland wrote:I'm willing to look further afield!

How many miles further, exactly? We're in the Midlands, but would welcome you with open arms if you didn't mind commuting a 100 or so miles. :)

(Sorry, not much help, but I don't know the area you're talking about at all.)
TT
VML
Parish / Diocese: Clifton Diocese

Post by VML »

Try trawling the Westminster Diocesan yearbook parish listings online, with links to parish websites listed by postcodes. Some may at least give you a flavour of the parish. Since I only visit London churches while passing through they are only the big grand ones, which bear no real resemblance to our own tiny parish, (except of course that the Mass is the Mass, and I am usually travelling on weekdays.) I hope you find a parish that will make full use of your skills and enthusiasm. :)
Merseysider

Post by Merseysider »

Have you thought of contacting the music dept of the diocesan liturgy commission? That's how I came to be working in my present parish. Or contact your local rep from the National Network of Pastorial Musicians: http://www.nnpm.org.uk
Merseysider
promisedland

Post by promisedland »

Thanks for the feedback guys, I'll get on to those links and will let you know how I get on!

CM