The Holy Year of Mercy - are we doing anything?

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

alan29

Re: The Holy Year of Mercy - are we doing anything?

Post by alan29 »

I see the year of mercy as a response to the recent synod on the family. May be wrong though.
markyboy2000
Parish / Diocese: Middlesbro

Post by markyboy2000 »

On the first Sunday after the 8th we were read the Pope's promulgation speech, which was basically a list. And that's been it.
Oh, and we've been lumbered with an apparently compulsory (at least in our diocese) banner, which has generally been badly received.
I've seen a couple of articles explaining the logo - but surely the idea of a logo is that it adds to the interpretation of something, not distracts.
For myself I thought at first it was someone in a fur stole, (c1930s films) others thought it was a man carrying a sheep - one friend suggested it was Zaphod from Hitchhiker's Guide.
Certainly not the topics we should be discussing; and not a word about any services either here or at the CAthedral
MaryR

Post by MaryR »

SSG is holding a series of Study Days entitled "Rich in Mercy". Further information will appear on the website shortly but here's a summary of what's happening:

At each event the focus will be on the message of Pope Francis who tells us that “in Him there is mercy and not condemnation.” All are welcome, particularly anyone involved in parish ministry, or wishing to reflect on what the Jubilee Year means for parishes.

• Saturday, 20 February 2016 at St Nicholas, Boldmere, Sutton Coldfield (speaker, Fr Allen Morris)
• Saturday, 27 February 2016 at Salford Cathedral (speaker, Bishop John Arnold)
• Saturday, 12 March 2016 at St Augustine’s, Hammersmith (speaker, Canon Stuart Wilson)

There will be talks, group discussions, reflection and prayer, workshops for readers, musicians and singers and each event will close with Evening Prayer.

The cost is £10 per person including lunch. Bookings or enquiries by email to Mary Rouse at bookings@ssg.org.uk. Or PM me!
Mary