Parish Visitation

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

dunstan

Parish Visitation

Post by dunstan »

Next week marks the start of a visitation to the Rugby Deanery, and on Sunday 17th Oct my parish has the honour of having His Grace the Archbishop of Birmingham at our Sunday mass. As a relatively inexperienced organist and MD, it is clearly a daunting prospect, but preparations are going well. We are a small rural parish (average turnout 50-60) with a unison choir of 7 ladies.

We are going to use the mass setting which is already "on" for this season - the St Begh mass by Alan Rees. I am fortunate to have a flautist who can play the "descant" for the Gloria.

We have been learning Gounod's Ave Verum for a post communion choral piece, and we seem to be reasonably well on top of it.

The psalm I couldn't find a terribly handy setting of, so I've knocked something up: would it be acceptable to post it to this board for comment/sanity checking?

As for hymns, the gospel of the day suggests "Seek ye first the kingdom ...", which we will use for a recessional. I thought we'd come into "Praise my Soul the King of Heaven", which we sing with gusto, and we'd have "Blest are you Lord God of all creation" for the offertory.

Finally I'm brushing up a Prelude by Philip Moore to use as a voluntary.

Does this all sound OK? For a small parish like ours this counts as a seriously big occasion, and I want to be sure I've not dropped any clangers.

Dunstan
Tsume Tsuyu

Parish Visitation

Post by Tsume Tsuyu »

Hello Dunstan,

We had our 'visitation' earlier this year, so I can sympathise!

What you've chosen sounds just fine and I think it's very sensible to stick with the Mass setting that you've been using. Personally, I think you must have drawn the short straw because that's a rotten week! We did our planning last night and we were struggling for inspiration for that particular Sunday.

I'm sure there wouldn't be a problem with you posting your psalm for comment, if you'd like to. Actually, the psalm was the only thing we didn't really have a problem with! We've chosen a lovely setting by David Ogden which is in Psalm Songs (can't remember which volume).

I hope the Archbishop's visit goes well. I'm sure it will and that he'll be appreciative of the hard work that's been put in.

Best wishes.
TT
musicus

Re: Parish Visitation

Post by musicus »

dunstan wrote:The psalm I couldn't find a terribly handy setting of, so I've knocked something up: would it be acceptable to post it to this board for comment/sanity checking?

I'm afraid there is no way to attach files in this forum. (The Composers' Corner forum does showcase Composers' Group work, but those files are posted by the moderator.)

Musicus
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

musicus wrote:(The Composers' Corner forum does showcase Composers' Group work, but those files are posted by the moderator.)
Not yet, it doesn't :wink:
Watch this space folks... it's coming soon to a small screen near you...
The Management
musicus

Post by musicus »

admin wrote:
musicus wrote:(The Composers' Corner forum does showcase Composers' Group work, but those files are posted by the moderator.)
Not yet, it doesn't :wink:
Watch this space folks... it's coming soon to a small screen near you...

Oops - sorry! Jumping the gun there...

M
Merseysider

Post by Merseysider »

Well... come on... tell us more!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

...but patience is such a virtue, don't you think? :lol:
The Management
Merseysider

Post by Merseysider »

I have never been virtuous and have no intention of starting now! 8)
dunstan

Post by dunstan »

Many thanks for your kind messages, both in the topic and in private messaging.
Last edited by dunstan on Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
presbyter
Parish / Diocese: youknowalready

Post by presbyter »

So what did you think to the brand new episcopal carriage, made in Coventry?

No rumblings coming from Shadwell Street - which must mean the visitation was a wonderful event :)

Anyone want to buy an S reg ex-episcopal Rover which is parked so as to make reversing out of my garage somewhat tricky? Next week I could be offering the aforesaid with decorative dent.
Dot

Post by Dot »

In the light of recent events, perhaps the brand new episcopal carriage should be of the two-wheeled variety, and episcopal garb should be adjusted accordingly. :wink:

Good to hear from you again, Presbyter.

Dot.
contrabordun

Post by contrabordun »

sort of Heaven's Angels (Cathedral Chapter)?
presbyter
Parish / Diocese: youknowalready

Post by presbyter »

Dot wrote:In the light of recent events, perhaps the brand new episcopal carriage should be of the two-wheeled variety

Is this a reference to the latest edition of the "Cycling Times" that nobody wants to take away with them, even though it is free?

For the latest in Archbishop & Metropolitan fashion see:

http://www.catholic-ew.org.uk/cn/04/040713.htm
dunstan

Post by dunstan »

Many thanks for the messages of support, both in the forum and private messages.

Our parish visitation was a great success - we met with His Grace on Saturday evening for general chit chat about the state of the parish, and then he was at our Sunday morning mass - not concelebrating, but he preached. He also presented his award to two of our parishioners who have been of great service over many, many years, the awards being well deserved.

Musically everything we planned came off. We'd had our wobbly moment with the Gounod earlier in the week, and had it polished for the mass itself.

Now to move on to Christ the King, advent and Christmas. Has anybody got any suggestions of a simple piece for a unison choir - whenever I look the simple Christmas pieces seem to be geared towards children ("Baby Jesus lay down with the ickle donkey etc").
Merseysider

Post by Merseysider »

Try "Peace Child" by Bernadette Farrell.
Really stresses that "the Word became flesh".