The GIRM or not The GIRM

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

quaeritor

The GIRM or not The GIRM

Post by quaeritor »

An article in the currend issue of Music and Liturgy gives a link to the online GIRM ( http://www.liturgyoffice.org.uk/Resourc ... s/GIRM.pdf ). I had a quick look at this and found on the back of the title sheet the following:

Excerpts from the English translation of The Roman Missal © 2010, International
Commission on English in the Liturgy Corporation. All rights reserved.

This edition was prepared by the Liturgy Office of the Bishops’ Conference
and includes particular adaptations for England and Wales © 2011 Catholic Bishops’
Conference of England and Wales.
http://www.romanmissal.org.uk

(Sorry - that didn't copy/paste very well)

My CTS booklet was published in 2005; are there significant differences?

(Don't try to list them all here - just advise me if I need the update, and if, by any chance, there is a resource that lists the changes.)

Q
Southern Comfort

Re: The GIRM or not The GIRM

Post by Southern Comfort »

Yes, along with the new translation of the Missal itself the translation of GIRM was also revised and some modifications made. I don't know of a resource that lists the changes themselves.
mcb
Parish / Diocese: Our Lady's, Lillington

Post by mcb »

Here's the beginnings of a comparison. I don't know if the project was ever completed.
quaeritor

Post by quaeritor »

Thanks, both for your prompt assistance.

SC - I have the downloaded Missal - imprimatur March 2011 - is the GIRM contained in that the latest translation?

MCB - I followed the link, and then followed a link given in the blog, but I got a document obviously comparing paragraphs from two sources, but displayed in some weird incomprehensible font. Does that ring any bells with you? Is there a work-around?

Q
alan29

Post by alan29 »

Comparison works fine for me on a bog-standard windows laptop.
mcb
Parish / Diocese: Our Lady's, Lillington

Post by mcb »

quaeritor wrote:SC - I have the downloaded Missal - imprimatur March 2011 - is the GIRM contained in that the latest translation?

Yep, General Instruction of the Roman Missal, starting at page 21.

quaeritor wrote:MCB - I followed the link, and then followed a link given in the blog, but I got a document obviously comparing paragraphs from two sources, but displayed in some weird incomprehensible font. Does that ring any bells with you? Is there a work-around?

Works fine for me too (Mac running OS X 10.10.3), I'm afraid. Try a different browser?
Southern Comfort

Post by Southern Comfort »

It is to be noted that the England and Wales, Scottish and Australian versions of GIRM all have different provisions in some details (for example, paras 48 and 87) and the USA version is different again.

There was a rumour some time back that Rome was going to fix this so that they were all identical (and probably identical to the US one), but I don't think this ever happened. If anyone from the Liturgy Office is reading this thread, perhaps they might comment?
quaeritor

Post by quaeritor »

mcb wrote: Try a different browser?

Good call, mcb - I use Firefox; it works fine in IE.

Thanks again

Q