Sprinkling in different directions

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

FrGareth
Parish / Diocese: Sion Community for Evangelism (Brentwood)

Sprinkling in different directions

Post by FrGareth »

Christ is Risen - and the big liturgies are done - Alleluia!

Now is the time to recover, debrief and reflect. And I am reflecting on the differences in Sprinkling Rites:

Easter Vigil: Water is blessed. Baptisms, if any, take place. Then the sequence is:
* Call to prayer
* Threefold renunciation of the Devil
* Q&A form of the Apostles' Creed
* Final presidential prayer
* Sprinkling of the people, with song
The Prayer of the Faithful immediately follows.

Easter Day: "the rite of the renewal of baptismal promises may take
place after the homily according to the text used at the Easter Vigil", replacing the Creed.
I take this to mean the whole rite, inclusive of sprinkling.

Sundays in general: replaces the Penitential Rite. Format:
* Call to prayer
* Blessing of water
* OPTIONAL blessing of salt

This makes Easter Sunday morning different to other Masses. Is it correct to celebrate the sprinkling after the Q&A Creed or should I have used Missal Appendix II in the usual way? If the sprinkling is rightly done after the Q&A Creed, should the Penitential be omitted in the entrance rites? Why is there no salt blessing option on Easter Sunday? Why is there no rite of sprinkling in Eastertide using the Easter water, with a thanksgiving rather than a blessing? Thoughts welcome!
><>
Revd Gareth Leyshon - Priest of the Archdiocese of Cardiff (views are my own)
Personal website: http://www.garethleyshon.info
Blog: http://catholicpreacher.wordpress.com/
Southern Comfort

Re: Sprinkling in different directions

Post by Southern Comfort »

FrGareth wrote:Easter Day: "the rite of the renewal of baptismal promises may take
place after the homily according to the text used at the Easter Vigil", replacing the Creed.
I take this to mean the whole rite, inclusive of sprinkling.

Yes. This rite is intended to cater for those who did not get to the Vigil. It therefore includes the dialogue form of the renewal of baptismal promises.

FrGareth wrote:Sundays in general: replaces the Penitential Rite. Format:
* Call to prayer
* Blessing of water
* OPTIONAL blessing of salt

This makes Easter Sunday morning different to other Masses. Is it correct to celebrate the sprinkling after the Q&A Creed or should I have used Missal Appendix II in the usual way? If the sprinkling is rightly done after the Q&A Creed, should the Penitential be omitted in the entrance rites? Why is there no salt blessing option on Easter Sunday? Why is there no rite of sprinkling in Eastertide using the Easter water, with a thanksgiving rather than a blessing? Thoughts welcome!

See above answer. Easter Sunday morning is different because it includes the profession of faith from the Vigil for those who could not make it. Normal blessing + sprinkling does not include a profession of faith.

The Penitential Act is always omitted when there is a (blessing and) sprinkling of water, which replaces the Penitential Act even though it itself is not penitential in character.

The blessing of salt is so optional that I do not know of anyone who has ever used it. It is connected with baptismal rites per se, rather than renewal of baptismal commitment.

Regarding why there is no rite of sprinkling with already blessed water during Eastertide, I think this is because it is assumed that much of the water will be used up in an initial spirnkling, and also because of the difficulty of preserving fresh, bacteria-free water in former times for use days if not weeks later. Additionally, the text of the blessing of the water during Eastertide is so full of rich symbolism that I would assume the Church wants us to remind people of it.