Hymns for Wedding

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

JW

Hymns for Wedding

Post by JW »

I've been asked to choose hymns for a wedding next Saturday. I worry that Church is becoming so far removed from some people. Is this going to happen more in future. The positive is that they've cbosen to marry in Church.
JW
VML
Parish / Diocese: Clifton Diocese

Re: Hymns for Wedding

Post by VML »

And the positive is, too, that what you choose is a form of catechesis.
Have you met the couple? Do you know anything about them? Fr Gareth on this forum produced a very useful booklet, downloadable, of wedding hymns to well known hymn tunes. And you can, for instance, include a Welsh or rugby assembly by singing Cwm Rhondda. There are Marriage words to Bunessan- (Morning has broken). Good luck, and I hope they sing!
IncenseTom
Parish / Diocese: Diocese of Leeds

Post by IncenseTom »

I'm sure you'll have plenty of ideas, but I can't resist mentioning one of the hymns we had at our wedding in August.

"Christ Be the Lord of All Our Days" to the Repton tune. Lovely text combined with a rousing melody.
oopsorganist

Post by oopsorganist »

Might have attached a document given me by Docmatic many moons ago - his guidacen for weddings. Might not. It all depends on how smart the pooter is today.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
uh oh!
oopsorganist

Post by oopsorganist »

And this one I forget where it is pinched from?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
uh oh!
oopsorganist

Post by oopsorganist »

And they do not open methinks.
Sigh
uh oh!
Peter

Post by Peter »

oopsorganist wrote:And they do not open methinks.
Sigh

They do once you've downloaded them - you can unheave that sigh, Oops!

Patrick Lee's collection "I wake refreshed" contains a wedding hymn that fits the tune "Michael" (a.k.a. "All my hope on God is founded"). It is covered by the Calamus copyright licence.
oopsorganist

Post by oopsorganist »

The files open Microsoft document viewer and go "bonk" each time. I do not know why files do this on my computer. It is most annoying.
I would have to faff around to make sure they are saved in Word. They should be in Word. Why aren't they in Word?
Or I could copy and paste but that would be a very very long post. Possible an SSG record.

I think "All are welcome in this place" is a good hymn for weddings where people are not churchified.
uh oh!
Peter

Post by Peter »

'Fraid I can't help you with that computer problem, Oops, and it would probably be ruled off-topic if I did. I was merely offering reassurance that on my computer the files opened OK - in Word - and looked very useful. The important question for the thread is whether the files can be opened by JW, who originally asked for ideas.
nazard
Parish / Diocese: Clifton

Post by nazard »

For those who had difficulty opening the attachments above, I have converted them to pdf. Sorry I didn't have time to check them thoroughly, so I hope they work.
JW

Post by JW »

Thanks for all the very interesting comments. The following is what I came up with. The couple are an older couple and one of them is, I understand to be confirmed at the same time. About 200 guests are expected so, hopefully, they will sing. The music and hymns have deliberately been kept very simple, aiming for a traditional church ceremony, and popular hymns. I've had comments in the past that people prefer traditional words to traditional tunes, so traditional words it is!

Entrance of the Bride: Wagner Bridal March (Here comes the Bride)
Opening Hymn: Love Divine, All Loves Excelling
Offertory Hymn: Amazing Grace
Communion Hymn: Be Still for the Presence of the Lord
Hymn for signing the register: Give me joy in my heart.
While signing the register: Ave Maria (Bach/Gounod) - organ only
When leaving the church: Mendelssohn Wedding March.

JW
VML

Post by VML »

Sounds perfect, JW.
Do Not Be Afraid
Parish / Diocese: Nottingham Diocese

Post by Do Not Be Afraid »

Like!
oopsorganist

Post by oopsorganist »

Should there be a thread or Resource which people can consult for Weddings and also Nuptial Masses. (And indeed, other services which are not Mass?).

It is more than the choice of hymns and needs careful preparation. There are some guidelines about what is acceptable and so on. I read them once. Don't know where! :roll:

When my daughter wed, Father did a Wedding rather than a Nuptial Mass which I thought was a shame. Although the vast majority of the crowd were not Catholic, I think they were churched and educated enough to have appreciated what was happening and might have had a deepened understanding of Catholic faith as a result. Actually, now I know them better, most of them were churched in some way. He also conducts Baptims outside the Mass which seems a loss too.

All these life events: weddings, funerals, baptisms and their sacraments are challenging for pastoral musicians and for Liturgies and are opening doors too, for people who spend little time thinking of the spiritual world. Worthy of Guidance. Well, of Guidance reiterated at the beginning of threads about preparation.

These are the bridges for mission.

And don't get me going on First Holy Communions. Really. Don't.

You can tell I am free on Sunday mornings, eh?
uh oh!
VML

Post by VML »

I was asked, on Tuesday 17th March, in an email from the bride, if I am available to play for a wedding service on 17th April.
Two hymns were listed, without capital letters or any punctuation at all, and appallingly spelt. This is someone who is running her own business and went to our local Catholic schools.
I replied that it was rather short notice, and I will have to clear some plans, but may be able to do it.
I also asked what other music she planned to have.
The reply is that for coming in, going out, and signing the register, they are playing 'a selection of songs that are important to us, on recordings.'
Am I being mean when I tell her she should clear her selection with PP, as not all songs are suitable for a Sacramental celebration?
The trouble is, I know he won't ever bar a song as unsuitable.
(We have had 'The fields of Athenry' on CD for a funeral Mass. 'By a lonely prison wall……..')
I have quoted my usual fee. The silly thing is that her mother was briefly in our parish choir, about twenty years ago. On the strength of that I would probably done it for a big discount or free if she had asked for some real music. I know I am being judgemental and irritated, but….Oh dear..
I think I am cross that I will be postponing a possible weekend away for one organ hymn and one on guitar.