Carol Concerts

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

SOP
Parish / Diocese: Salford

Carol Concerts

Post by SOP »

How do others feel about Carol Concerts during December, i.e. before Christmas Eve?

Personally, I see them as part of the preparation and have nothing against singing in Carol Concerts - in fact, I love it. To me it is a time of the year when everyone, church and non-church goers are able to come together. I know it would be inappropriate to sing carols during Mass in Advent so I am not asking about that. It is things like "The Lord Mayor's Carol Concert", fund raising carol concerts etc, etc.

Discuss.
Benevenio

Post by Benevenio »

Depends. I suspect that people go to "The Lord Mayor's Carol Concert" to support whatever charity or good cause the Mayor happens to be supporting that year. They'll have an expectation that they will sing Christmas carols, as well as be entertained by the choir singing other stuff. Most of the audience will not be well versed in the details of the liturgical calendar, and will think that Christmas starts when the Christmas lights are turned on for Diwali and ends when the January sales start on Boxing Day. :roll: So the tendency will be for the Christmas Carol Concert to be earlier and earlier in December - after all, they'd not like it to be in the rush in the week before Christmas because that's when they're really busy with the late night present shopping and the Christmas meals from the office. :wink:

However, there are plenty of carols for other times in the year - I recall, from my youth, singing May Day carols at sunrise on 1 May up on the roof of the Bargate in Southampton. So, the opportunity is there for those organisers who are in the know to feed in Advent carols to such a concert, or pieces relating to the second coming, the end of time, the new heavenly Jerusalem from Revelation.

I have a little more of a problem when the concert is sold as a "Carol Service" because that implies some form of liturgy, which presumably should fit into the church's liturgical year... if it is held in one of those "established" churches that follow such a cycle. Then I should expect it to be more Advent,-based the earlier in December the service was.

If the punters are paying good money for a concert, then as far as I am concerned, if the Lord Mayor's office wants to sing Christmas carols in July, then that's fine with me; but, if they want a Christmas carol service early in December, then I'd discuss the programme with the Lord Mayor's office, and work in Advent material, as well as accepting that people will want to sing all those sentimental tunes (as slushy as wet snow)... with historically very dubious texts ('No crying he makes': Yeah right!)... in the key of F (as they all seem to be)... Who am I to question what it really means to individuals in the audience? Treat it as an opportunity for evangelisation!

This is a case of "pastoral need" I suspect, so I'd not want to be too heavy-handed myself.
Benevenio.
Merseysider

Post by Merseysider »

We'll be having some sort of carol concert in mid-December but it will be in the school hall rather than in the church. And if, as a result, non-church-goers hear/see something they like, who knows... Like Benevenio, I think it's best not to be too heavy-handed.
We'll also be having some sort of Advent Carol service in the church.
excathedra

Post by excathedra »

Well, I love 'em. I direct the music at Carols for MENCAP each year in Worcester Cathedral and it's a tremendous occasion: a large choir of schoolkids from all over Worcestershire, organ and brass, and a cathedral packed full of folks singing for all they're worth. MENCAP members, young and old, play a full part, the wheelchair dancing is amazing, and one of the most accomplished choirs is from RNIB, who learn the music from braille and sing by heart.

It's always a bit too early for my liking, and this year it's on 1st December (at the Cathedral's request), but what the heck... I guess most of the people are not regular churchgoers, but they love this event, returning year after year for the traditional carols and readings.

BTW, you'd all be most welcome to come along if it's convenient for you (7.30pm) or PM me for more details.
sidvicius

"Christmas" Carol concerts

Post by sidvicius »

I think they're all right - usually enjoyed by all and paid for in a just cause. A good rendition of 'Silent Night' can still move the hardest heart.
I wonder if carol concerts could be used to introduce people to other quite beautiful sacred music also. Chris Walker's "Faith, Hope and Love" springs to mind (on the "Out of Darkness" CD). I know that one doesn't have a Christmas theme, but maybe it would be a note to non-churchgoers that we have also moved on, considerably, and that our tradition is vast.