Leeds area new centre

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

oopsorganist

Leeds area new centre

Post by oopsorganist »

I have been asked to publicize an event in a local Methodist church in Leeds...
Saturday 8th November
Join Rev Roger Walton
at South Leeds Oasis
To launch the South Leeds Oasis Community, Training and Retreat Centre at Hunslet Methodist Church, Reverend Roger Walton introduces his new book “Disciples Together”.
Discipleship is a common theme in many Churches but how do we make disciples and form disciples to be effective followers of Jesus and people who share in God’s transformation of the world? This event will explore the nature of discipleship, the forming of the disciples and the role of small groups in the process.
So job done.
uh oh!
musicus

Re: Leeds area new centre

Post by musicus »

Thanks, Oops. I rather think that discipleship (and evangelisation) are going to be moving up the RC agenda somewhat if Pope Francis continues to urge us to turn outwards – so your post is timely.
musicus - moderator, Liturgy Matters
blog
HallamPhil
Parish / Diocese: St Lawrence Diocese of St Petersburg

Post by HallamPhil »

Dear Dears

We need to remember that it is the Gospel, and not Pope Francis, which has always urged us to look outwards. Pope Francis is being faithful in articulating the call of the Gospel in an apposite way ... and curiously we are listening to him, whereas before ... who knows?
musicus

Post by musicus »

You are correct, of course, Phil, but, as you say, before, who knows? My own parish has been marking time (i.e. doing very little) regarding outreach and evangelisation for over a decade. Now, with a new PP and a renewed push from Rome, things are changing. But underpinning all this is the imperative of the Good News.

It may be, also, that people at this present time are better disposed than ever to hear the gospel and respond to it.
musicus - moderator, Liturgy Matters
blog