Animals

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

HallamPhil
Parish / Diocese: St Lawrence Diocese of St Petersburg

Animals

Post by HallamPhil »

In my new life in Florida I've now met something I've only previously met on vicar of Finley ... The blessing of animals (as part of st Francis celebrations). Any suggestions for psalms and appropriate music?
blackthorn fairy
Parish / Diocese: Our Lady of the Sacred Heart Wellingborough Northamptonshire

Re: Animals

Post by blackthorn fairy »

How about 'All creatures of our God and King'? :)
alan29

Post by alan29 »

Psalm 8 or 104, off the top of my head.
Ephrem Feeley
Parish / Diocese: Diocese of Meath

Post by Ephrem Feeley »

How about "All Things Bright and Beautiful" as one of the hymns. Psalm 8 is also good, as is the Canticle of Daniel, which exhorts all creation to bless the Lord: "You dolphins and all water creatures, bless the Lord. / All you birds of the air, bless the Lord. / All you beasts, wild and tame, bless the Lord". For a contemporary hymn, maybe Canticle of the Sun by Marty Haugen? The blessing of animals has taken off quite well here in Ireland; this year the Feast of St Francis falls on a Saturday, allowing more people, and other creatures, to attend.
dmu3tem

Post by dmu3tem »

'Dere's Animals, and animals, and animals, and animals, and animals, and animals - Yes Lord!'

Terrific Negro Spiritual I remember learning at school - from the Yale Song Book, no less.

Thomas
T.E.Muir