Fit for purpose

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

alan29

Re: Fit for purpose

Post by alan29 »

I really wish I hadn't followed Paul's link. The process by which this translation was imposed on English speakers and the poor quality of the materials sadden me.
IncenseTom
Parish / Diocese: Diocese of Leeds

Post by IncenseTom »

I really know nothing at all about the 1998 text, and to be honest, I'm happy enough with things as they are that I don't have the will to study it for purely academic purpose, as I would imagine it unlikely that we will ever use it. If we do, I'll have a good look then.

I can only comment (and did so) on my experience between the translation which was always intended to be temporary which I grew up with, and the text we have now which I personally think is very good.
contrabordun

Post by contrabordun »

The 1998 text was the one that was always intended to replace the one which was always intended to be temporary. It was the product of twenty five years work* and was, as I posted previously, accepted unanimously by all the Bishops Conferences in the English-speaking world. Given that that work - a huge waste of the contributors' time and indeed the faithful's money - was in the end simply written off, it does seem reasonable to wonder why so many of the people who have compared the two versions prefer the 1998 one.

*I should declare an interest: as some Board Members are aware, my father was part of the group that did that work.
Paul Hodgetts
nazard
Parish / Diocese: Clifton

Post by nazard »

JW wrote:An article worth reading, though reflecting a wider view of the liturgy?

http://ncronline.org/blogs/faith-and-justice/suggested-agenda-new-prefect-congregation-divine-worship

I hope that none of those suggestions ever come about.

As for numbers dropping, ours have increased since the new translation.

My own view: better than what we had, but far from good enough yet. If they really want to sort things out they need to sort out the Latin text. I would start by restoring the Roman offertory in place of the current vacuous preparation of the gifts, and drop EPs 2 & 3 from a great height.
johnquinn39
Parish / Diocese: Birmingham

Post by johnquinn39 »