Music/liturgy in crematoria

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

Hare
Parish / Diocese: Angouleme Diocese, France.

Post by Hare »

Is anyone else involved full, part time, or occasionally as a crematorium organist, or chaplain?

If so, i would like to start a thread relevant to us, but with wider liturgical implications.
VML
Parish / Diocese: Clifton Diocese

Crematoria etc

Post by VML »

I have only once played at a crematorium, following a requiem Mass at which we had, to 2 flutes and one classical guitar, sung 'By the rivers of Babylon.' The family had not wanted organ music, (in a church where the organ had been endowed by Edward Elgar, and kept in good order.)

At the crematorium, the resident organist was slightly surprised when we arrived, with the same line up, to play.....'Please release me let me go..'

This week I have to play at a funeral Mass. The bereaved want 'some of Mum's music.' There will be 2 hymns: All things bright, and How gt Thou art, but as before Mass they would like me to work the CD player with Russell Watson singing Danny Boy. 'Play it a couple of times if necessary'
Then a recorded Ave Maria, - she couldn't tell me which it is,- and to go out to, Nessun Dorma. Father shrugged and looked helpless, and I'm not sure what you do. We have, this year had Mark Knopfler and Eric Clapton on tape at a Requiem, and I suppose there's a fine line under what is dignified before, during and after Mass, and what is unacceptable.
musicus

Re: Crematoria etc

Post by musicus »

VML wrote:At the crematorium, the resident organist was slightly surprised when we arrived, with the same line up, to play.....'Please release me let me go..'

LOL! Sorry, but can you imagine anything more appallingly (in)appropriate? (I bet you can - but that had better be another thread :twisted:)

M
Hare
Parish / Diocese: Angouleme Diocese, France.

Post by Hare »

Thanks for posts.

This could easily become a "things that happened.." topic, but what I really hope to get addressed is the recorded music thing.

I play at a crem 1 day a week - in theory. I am lucky if I get to play 1 full service (ie prelude, hymn(s), postlude. There is very often a cd at the beginning and/or end.)

Why? Is it because so much is available on cd? Or is it that to be brutal, there are so many c*** organists around that people think that we are all like that? (At a church funeral yesterday, I had to sit with my arms folded while a cd of an ORGAN arrangement Jesu joy of mans desiring was played!! The family insisted, despite protests from the funeral director, as they had heard an apalling organist once..

Views please! :?

PS - As far as "things that happen" go, today's cd offering was "Zippadee doo-dah!", with the congregation letting off party-poppers. Yes, it WAS a Catholic funeral!
presbyter
Parish / Diocese: youknowalready

Post by presbyter »

I weep at some of the above :cry:

Surely it's Father's job to go through the liturgy with relatives beforehand and tell them what might be appropriate music for the liturgy and what might be more appropriate for the social gathering afterwards.

Can/may I start a Funeral Rites thread?
Gwyn
Parish / Diocese: Archdiocese of Cardiff

Post by Gwyn »

Presbyter asked:
Can/may I start a Funeral Rites thread?

Hope permission is granted, that'd be an excellent topic.
musicus

Post by musicus »

Go for it, Presbyter. (As if you needed to ask!)

M