Preparation of the Gifts

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

organist
Parish / Diocese: Westminster cathedral

Preparation of the Gifts

Post by organist »

At Mass last night (my 3rd Eucharist of the weekend - it was for deceased Catenians and relatives) the priest (very charming) who is "Conservative" and has caused people to leave the parish, told us at the Offertory that we should be offering our prayers and concerns with the gifts. Surely we have already done that during the prayer of the faithful? We were also told in the homily to Come to Jesus who is in the tabernacle. Yes but what about in the newly consecrated bread and wine, in the Word we have just heard and in the gathered Assembly and in the people we meet outside the church? Almost needless to say the consecrated wafers which were given to us came from the tabernacle. Both chalices ran out despite a full church. The 7 servers had various lengths of cassock revealing trainers. :(
The homily was about Come to Jesus and don't go shopping in IKEA (dreadful thought!) :lol: Sunday is a day of rest and families should be together. Is this guy in the real world? :roll: Even if every Christian in the land stopped shopping on Sundays would that really affect business? What about those of his congregation who have to work on Sundays in order to live? Talk about shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted!
After Mass the Catenians went for a delightful meal. Was that wrong too? Don''t the restaurant staff need to live and also have rest?
The Catenians got mentioned at the beginning and right at the end but NOT during the prayers - in fact the dead were not mentioned in the prayers at all! It was also a little strange that 2 strangers to the parish including me were asked to take the collection - only the 2nd time I have ever done that - I am usually serving or playing! Would it not have been better to ask the Catenians to bring up the gifts? We did bring up the collection baskets!
My real point is that the preparation of the gifts is not an important element in the Mass. It is simply bringing bread and wine to the altar and thanking God for them and that is it! It's like the hinge in the liturgy between the 2 sections.
We were urged at the end to write to a peer about the Assisted Dying Bill so I have written to 3 see http://www.carenotkilling.org.uk/Bill2014. Please do this! Rant over!
Nick Baty
Parish / Diocese: Formerly Our Lady Immaculate, Everton, Liverpool

Re: Preparation of the Gifts

Post by Nick Baty »

organist wrote:My real point is that the preparation of the gifts is not an important element in the Mass. It is simply bringing bread and wine to the altar and thanking God for them and that is it! It's like the hinge in the liturgy between the 2 sections.
Surely more than a hinge. This is the third of four processions in the Mass and almost a second gathering rite. Just wish the collection didn't happen at this point – that seems to wreck everything.
JW

Post by JW »

Nick Baty wrote:Just wish the collection didn't happen at this point – that seems to wreck everything.

Time to ditch collections, I think. In the 21st Century, those who wish to give are better served by Standing Orders or by a parish 'Just Giving' page, or for example by encouraging folk to donate directly to CAFOD on family fast day collections. No need for counting etc. No need for people to stop at the cash point on the way to Mass. But there is a need for education as to why we should be supporting both the fabric of our churches and the legitimate expenses of our clergy and the various good causes (not Peter's Pence for me though, till the Vatican finances are brought into line with modern accountability and transparency,
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/14/opinion/cleaning-up-the-vatican.html?_r=0).

If people don't want, or can't afford to give, then the church should NOT be asking for their money. Apart from the question of Simony, it's not good evangelisation (whether New or Old).

Concerning the current fad for Eucharistic Adoration, am I right in assuming that this is poorly supported, or is it just where I am? As far as I'm concerned, there's not a lot of difference between praying in front of the tabernacle containing a consecrated host and praying in front of a monstrance displaying a consecrated Host, just more rigmarole.

As far as writing to peers is concerned, all very praiseworthy and good on those who have heeded the call - I haven't this time. I do have a slight concern that these campaigns do more harm than good and just reinforces peoples' view that Christians define themselves as being against things. How can we influence public policy without having to engage in 'anti' campaigns all the time, especially if leading Catholic bishops are unable to accept seats in the Lords if they were offered? If you ask folk what we're against there'll be a very long list, but if you ask folk what Catholics are for???
JW
musicus

Post by musicus »

All good points, JW, but let's not stray off-topic. One or two new topics here, perhaps...?
musicus - moderator, Liturgy Matters
blog
JW

Post by JW »

Thanks for the gentle reproach. Just felt like a rant!
JW
Ephrem Feeley
Parish / Diocese: Diocese of Meath

Post by Ephrem Feeley »

Just wish the collection didn't happen at this point – that seems to wreck everything.

I think there is an ambiguity of language about this part of the liturgy - it masquerades under the terms "offertory", "presentation of the gifts" and "preparation of the gifts", all of which are seen as interchangeable. The "offertory" implies the offering of earthly things to become heavenly. In the past this was more than just bread and wine - people would bring the produce from their land, surplus money earned during the week, to be distributed to the poor. The lavabo, or washing of hands, by the priest was necessary, as the residue of meat and fresh vegetables would need to be removed before moving onto spiritual matters. Only later did the lavabo acquire its own ritual significance. Edward Foley has traced liturgical developments (for better or worse) in a masterly way in the book From Age to Age. I don't really have much of a problem with the offertory collection, although we have gone away somewhat from the original intent of distribution to the poor. The problem often is transparency - we're not always exactly sure where the financial offering goes, and it can become a bit frustrating when there are two collections during mass, followed by another charity collection outside the gate, and other calls for donations. That said, there are churches that are completely open and transparent; this makes it easy for people to see and appreciate the benefit of their donations.