Paschale Solemnitas

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

High Peak
Parish / Diocese: Diocese of Nottingham

Paschale Solemnitas

Post by High Peak »

I am still trawling through past threads!

docmattc wrote:Paschale Solemnitas is a very useful document, it should be required reading for anyone involved in the Triduum.

Given changes (specifically the new translation) since this statement was made, is Paschale Solemnitas still the go-to document re the Triduum or has it been superseded?
Keraulophon
Parish / Diocese: Southwark - Kent

Re: Paschale Solemnitas

Post by Keraulophon »

It remains the prime resource commended by the CBCEW Liturgy Office.
Southern Comfort

Post by Southern Comfort »

NB: Its correct title is Paschale Solemnitatis

It now has to be read in conjunction with what is in the 3rd edition of the Roman Missal.
Nick Baty
Parish / Diocese: Formerly Our Lady Immaculate, Everton, Liverpool

Post by Nick Baty »

Sort of document which makes one feel like just doing something hippyish with fire and water!
keitha

Post by keitha »

For what it is worth, I agree with SC. In my view Paschale Solemnitatis holds good save and to the extent that the new edition and GIRM change it (but those changes are relatively few and were the subject of a thread a couple of years ago).

There are a few things that I find quite interesting in PS. For example, for the entrance procession on Palm Sunday note 32 states that Psalms 23 and 46 should be used as well as other appropriate songs, and note 33 provides that the Passion should be read by three people (no congregation joining in!). We also have "chosen men" for the footwashing at the Mass of the Last Supper (although, as it is clear that this is only an optional custom, I would have thought this provides a bit of room for manoeuvre!,) and the use of only one cross for the Good Friday veneration. Just a bit of musing... :)
Keith Ainsworth
High Peak
Parish / Diocese: Diocese of Nottingham

Post by High Peak »

keitha wrote:.......and note 33 provides that the Passion should be read by three people (no congregation joining in!)....

And yet my brand new CTS Missal has the Passion set out for four parts: Narrator, Jesus, Other single speaker and Crowd.
musicus

Post by musicus »

Interesting. We had three voices and "no joining in" - except they DID (my rubric on the service sheet was too subtle!). As you say, though, the new missals have the Crowd indications, which hardly helped.
musicus - moderator, Liturgy Matters
blog