Gelineau - The Lord is my Shepherd - guitar chords?

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

High Peak
Parish / Diocese: Diocese of Nottingham

Gelineau - The Lord is my Shepherd - guitar chords?

Post by High Peak »

I don't suppose anyone knows where I might get hold of guitar chords for the Gelineau version of "The Lord is my shepherd" (with the 1st Antiphon - "My shepherd is the Lord, nothing indeed shall I want")?

I have made a start; but if there is a source out there it would make life a little easier!!
Do Not Be Afraid
Parish / Diocese: Nottingham Diocese

Re: Gelineau - The Lord is my Shepherd - guitar chords?

Post by Do Not Be Afraid »

Hi High Peak - welcome aboard!

I have a friend who is evangelical about the Gelineau Psalms and is also a guitarist. I don't believe they are an SSG forum user (yet!) but I will contact him today and pass on your question directly in case they have what you are looking for.
High Peak

Post by High Peak »

You have renewed this old cynic's belief in the goodness of human nature. Many thanks for your kind offer. :D

I had never come across it until I was asked to sing it at the funeral of the adopted son of friends of ours. I found an old 1955 copy in the filing cabinet of our choir loft and learnt it from YouTube. It is a beautiful setting.
VML
Parish / Diocese: Clifton Diocese

Post by VML »

It is set in Eb, so capo 1 D,
A Bm D G D
(D) My shepherd is the Lord, nothing indeed shall I want.

Verses, D G A D,
D G D, D A

D F#m G
D G D

Something like that, try it.

When I post this it leaves out the spacing. Sorry.
High Peak

Post by High Peak »

And you even guessed that I needed the simple chord version!! :D Thanks, I will start working on that now.

Would you recommend any other Gelineau Psalms as being worthy of merit? As I said, until the funeral I was unaware of them.
VML
Parish / Diocese: Clifton Diocese

Post by VML »

Guitar players think in sharps harmonies!
High Peak

Post by High Peak »

Indeed, the vast majority of what I play (liturgical or Irish folk) is in the Key of G, sometimes D and, if I am feeling adventurous or fool-hardy, C.

Limited....but that's what the capo is for!!

Thanks for the chords. I have tweaked it a little (two or three added A or Bm chords) but it sounds great. Roll on, 4th Sunday!
Do Not Be Afraid
Parish / Diocese: Nottingham Diocese

Post by Do Not Be Afraid »

Seems this is very quickly sorted!! Thanks VML. I also realised later on this morning that it's in the Celebration Hymnal for Everyone - Hymn 502 I believe.
High Peak

Post by High Peak »

Do Not Be Afraid wrote:Seems this is very quickly sorted!! Thanks VML. I also realised later on this morning that it's in the Celebration Hymnal for Everyone - Hymn 502 I believe.

It is indeed - but with no guitar chords in the Melody/Guitar edition, alas.
Peter

Post by Peter »

High Peak wrote:Would you recommend any other Gelineau Psalms as being worthy of merit?

There is a set of standard "formulas" of tones given in the back of The Psalms - Singing Version produced by The Grail and published by Fontana (ISBN 0 00 621332 4) in 1966. However, The Lord is my Shepherd is exceptional in that it has its own Gelineau tone: in cases like this the book refers to one of a set with titles like Twenty-four Psalms and Canticle, published by The Grail. I don't know if any of these are still in print, but GIA Publications produced a revised version in 1995 called Forty-one Grail/Gelineau Psalms (ISBN 0 941050 78 5). Unfortunately few of these match the Responsorial Psalms in the Lectionary and none includes guitar chords, though versions with organ accompaniment are (or were) available.

We use Gelineau tones every week in my church for the Responsorial Psalms and for that purpose I prepared a full set of realisations of the "formulas" for all the Sunday and Holyday Psalms in the three-year cycle. We sing them unaccompanied, which works quite well.

Sadly, I gather that the Grail IV replacement of my faithful little paperback mentioned above (held together by sellotape now!) doesn't include any tones and the text isn't written with a view to singing them to tones of this type, so it looks as if we'll gave to rethink our policy on Psalm singing when the new Lectionary comes out. :( :cry:
High Peak

Post by High Peak »

"Twenty-four Psalms and Canticle" is precisely the copy I found in our choir loft; but as I said, it's from even further back - 1955. But it also is held togethr by sticky tape (other brands of tape are available!!)

"My shepherd is the Lord" is exactly the same as in my copy of CHE - but no chords. I think there is one hymnal ("Hymns Old and New"??) that does have quite a few Gelineau Psalms but no idea whether it has chords or whether there is a sufficient number of Gelineau Psalms that are as good as the 22nd/23rd Psalm to justify buying it even if it did have chords.

Question: when the new Lectionary comes out with whatever Bible translation is chosen, will the powers that be be as strict wrt using precisely the correct words as they have been with the parts of the Mass in the new Missal? If so, there will be a lot of valuable resources no longer available to us.
justMary
Parish / Diocese: Republic of Ireland

Post by justMary »

High Peak wrote:"My shepherd is the Lord" is exactly the same as in my copy of CHE - but no chords. I think there is one hymnal ("Hymns Old and New"??) that does have quite a few Gelineau Psalms but no idea whether it has chords or whether there is a sufficient number of Gelineau Psalms that are as good as the 22nd/23rd Psalm to justify buying it even if it did have chords.

fyi, HOAN 2008 Melody edition, which has guitar chords for many hymns, does not have them for the Gelineau My Shepherd ...
High Peak

Post by High Peak »

justMary wrote:
High Peak wrote:"My shepherd is the Lord" is exactly the same as in my copy of CHE - but no chords. I think there is one hymnal ("Hymns Old and New"??) that does have quite a few Gelineau Psalms but no idea whether it has chords or whether there is a sufficient number of Gelineau Psalms that are as good as the 22nd/23rd Psalm to justify buying it even if it did have chords.

fyi, HOAN 2008 Melody edition, which has guitar chords for many hymns, does not have them for the Gelineau My Shepherd ...

I suspected as much. Thanks for letting me know.

It seems a shame to me that, even in so-called "guitar" editions of the widely-used hymnals, guitar chords are not given for so much of the content; even if it came with a caveat stating that the chords were not compatible with the organ copy it would at least mean that those of us that don't have access to an organist or keyboard player could play a broader selection of music without having to laboriously work out possible chords.

Or, in my case, ask fellow members of discussion forums if they have them!! :D