Next Saturday's Responsorial Psalm!

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

Do Not Be Afraid
Parish / Diocese: Nottingham Diocese

Next Saturday's Responsorial Psalm!

Post by Do Not Be Afraid »

Dear SSG experts! Please forgive me "phoning a friend!", but I am asked next weekend to assist with the music for a fairly significant Diocesan occasion - a largish crowd expected, and the +Bp too! (No pressure!). My question concerns the Responsorial Psalm - I know that the "Readings of the day" will be used, which gives us Psalm 50 with the particular response "What I want is love, not sacrifice".

Given the size of the crowd, on this occasion, I must confess I was initially thinking of a hymn setting that we could all sing together, before I look into the more normal Cantor-Congregation books. I have already thought of "God of Mercy and Compassion" as an obvious fit (and I appreciate it is Lent), but am wondering if there are any other ideas.

I have also heard recently that there are also "Common Psalms" for particular times of the year, which I understand can ALWAYS be used in place of the given Psalm of the day.

I would appreciate any suggestions that you may be able to offer me. Whilst I appreciate it is a Lenten Saturday, I am hoping that we will be able to have something of an uplifting occasion.

Many thanks in advance....
HallamPhil
Parish / Diocese: St Lawrence Diocese of St Petersburg

Re: Next Saturday's Responsorial Psalm!

Post by HallamPhil »

You could dispense with the response and set the words of the psalm itself to a well-known psalm tone. We do this frequently at St Marie's in Sheffield. It is particularly suitable for Lent, we feel. Some people refer to this legitimate method of singing the psalm the direct method. We like to give cantor(s) the first 2 lines and congregations the second couplet. If the psalm tone is less familiar get your organist to play it through at the start.
Peter

Post by Peter »

Welcome to the forum, DNBA!

Do Not Be Afraid wrote:I have also heard recently that there are also "Common Psalms" for particular times of the year, which I understand can ALWAYS be used in place of the given Psalm of the day.

Yes, there are, but the Common Psalm for Lent is ... Psalm 50!

Laudate 48 has a setting using the Gelineau tone we've used for many years at my church - in fact, for a long time we used the Common Psalm routinely in Lent. Laudate nos 194 and 195 are based on the same Psalm. Neither uses the response you quote, unfortunately.
Do Not Be Afraid
Parish / Diocese: Nottingham Diocese

Post by Do Not Be Afraid »

Dear Peter and HallamPhil - thanks for your helpful suggestions. I will have a look at both of these tonight. Much appreciated..