Holy Thursday eve - penitential rite

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

Gwyn
Parish / Diocese: Archdiocese of Cardiff

Holy Thursday eve - penitential rite

Post by Gwyn »

Hello everyone.
Should there be a penitential rite at the Eveninig Mass on Holy Thursday? There's nothing in the missal to suggest its inclusion or exclusion.
Thanks muchly.
Gwyn.
nazard
Parish / Diocese: Clifton

Re: Holy Thursday eve - penitential rite

Post by nazard »

I have always seen the penitential rite included on Maunday Thursday. Surely, as it is part of mass you would need a specific instruction to exclude it. If such an instruction does exist, then obviously a fair few people haven't noticed it.
alan29

Post by alan29 »

Some parishes made a big "do" out of welcoming the oils back from the Chrism Mass. I wonder if that might count as the sort of added extra at the start that displaces the penitential rite. Just thinking aloud, no real idea.
keitha

Post by keitha »

I think that the Penitential Act should be included on the basis that there is no instruction to exclude it. There is also some logic to it as the Mass of the Last Supper opens the Triduum, which follows through Good Friday and the Easter Vigil and Mass, with the first Penitential Act to appear after the Triduum has ended being at the first mass of Easter day.

As for the reception of the Holy Oils, at the end of the Chrism Mass in the Missal there is a note: 'The reception of the Holy Oils may take place in individual parishes either before the celebration of the Evening Mass of the Lord's Supper or at another time that seems more appropriate.' So far as I can tell, there is no rite as such in England & Wales - but the US conferences of bishops has one on its website. If done just before the Thursday evening mass I would not expect it to displace the Penitential Act.
Keith Ainsworth
Gwyn
Parish / Diocese: Archdiocese of Cardiff

Post by Gwyn »

Sensible thoughts and advice folks. As you say, there is no specific instruction that suggests its omission.

Thanks,
Gwyn.