Ring out your Venite

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

Gwyn
Parish / Diocese: Archdiocese of Cardiff

Ring out your Venite

Post by Gwyn »

With the advent of Grail IV I was rather hoping that 'Venite, Exultemus Domino' might be better translated than "Come, ring out ..." Sadly not though.
Ringing out invokes for me images at best of Christmas morning church bells, or at worst, middle-aged, bearded, real ale-swilling, campanologists.
The only thing that I've ever (w)rung out is a dish cloth. There must be better translations that really capture 'Come' and 'Exult'.

What do you, the viewer at home, think?

Gwyn.
blackthorn fairy
Parish / Diocese: Our Lady of the Sacred Heart Wellingborough Northamptonshire

Re: Ring out your Venite

Post by blackthorn fairy »

What's wrong with exult? I can cope with that.
Ros Wood
Parish / Diocese: Christ the King Chingford - Brentwood Diocese

Post by Ros Wood »

There's always the BCP translation

O COME, let us sing unto the LORD; * let us heartily rejoice in the strength of our salvation.
2 Let us come before his presence with thanksgiving; * and show ourselves glad in him with psalms.
3 For the LORD is a great God; * and a great King above all gods.
4 In his hand are all the corners of the earth; * and the strength of the hills is his also.
5 The sea is his, and he made it; * and his hands prepared the dry land.
6 O come, let us worship and fall down, * and kneel before the LORD our Maker.
7 For he is the Lord our God; * and we are the people of his pasture, and the sheep of his hand.
8 To-day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts * as in the provocation, and as in the day of temptation in the wilderness;
9 When your fathers tempted me, * proved me, and saw my works.
10 Forty years long was I grieved with this generation, and said, * It is a people that do err in their hearts, for they have not known my ways:
11 Unto whom I sware in my wrath, * that they should not enter into my rest.
Gwyn
Parish / Diocese: Archdiocese of Cardiff

Post by Gwyn »

Absolutleigh Ros,

It's the BCP translation that's etched indelibly into my neurones (being an Anglican convert) and the one that I sing an recite by heart. As a teenaged Anglican I'd play the organ for the 9.30am Sunday Eucharist service in Abercanaid (Merthyr Tydfil) and then cycle down the riverbank to Troedyrhiw where I'd play for the 11 o'clock Matins, and thus the BCP Te Deum is delightfully well entrenched too. :D

Where did those 40+ years go? Answers please on a postcard and send them to . . .

Exult is fine with me, B.F., it's "Ring out your joy" that I find not particularly expressive since I'm neither a bell-ringner nor a keen amatuer washer-upper. :lol: