Our new cardinal

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

organist
Parish / Diocese: Westminster cathedral

Our new cardinal

Post by organist »

The music from Rome was splendid. Westminster Cathedral choir joined the Sistine choir for the consistory and Mass on the Sunday both are on youtube, One of the choristers sang the psalm beautifully and the choir sang Stanford Beati quorum via on their own, Interesting that the cantors were the men of the Sistine choir who have certainly improved immensely - perhaps the Sistine boys are not up to it?
The mass of welcome at Westminster cathedral was a wonderful occasion with a fanfare and Bruckner Ecce sacerdos raising the rood. Opening hymn Praise to the holiest. Schubert in G for Gloria and Agnus Dei. Gabrieli Jubilate Deo, Mawby Ave verum (he was an invited guest in Rome and London) Victoria Te Deum and Widor Marche pontificale. The cathedral was full and a great atmosphere of joy! :D
musicus

Re: Our new cardinal

Post by musicus »

Thanks, organist. I watched the first of the two Vatican celebrations live and the second (the Mass) on YouTube, and the Westminster choir was excellent. It was especially good to hear Stanford's Beati quorum via from St Peter's, especially since we used it at the Newman Mass at Cofton Park in 2010.

I think the Sistine choir has learned a lot from both Westminster Cathedral and Westminster Abbey, starting with Benedict's visit to the UK.
musicus - moderator, Liturgy Matters
blog
organist
Parish / Diocese: Westminster cathedral

Re: Our new cardinal

Post by organist »

Thanks for the correction about you tube and I absolutely agree!