Not sure what to do?

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

oopsorganist

Not sure what to do?

Post by oopsorganist »

So parishes are merging.
My PP has told me that he has promised my services to another parish, just one Mass a week.
So on Sunday I was not fazed, but I awoke in the middle of last night very irate about this. I am always mixed feelings. It usually goes OK music wise and I do enjoy some of it - and all that but - I am simulaneously always trying to escape both the planning and the performance.
Added complications are that I want to move house some 20 miles away and also hope to retire in the next couple of years if not sooner. I cannot decide if it is a good thing to retain roots here in case I am bored or lonely or if the burden is really getting to be too much for me.
Since I was ill two years ago I have tried to drop various responsibilities in my life so that I do not become overworked again and end up with health problems.
I guess if I don't know what to do I should do nothing.
Perhaps things will sort themselves out.
uh oh!
alan29

Re: Not sure what to do?

Post by alan29 »

I'm sorry, but if my PP "promised my services" to another parish without consulting me he would have to endure some very salty language indeed. His promise would, of course be ignored.
musicus

Post by musicus »

Quite, Alan.

Perhaps your PP thought he was doing you a favour, oops. I'd like to think that if you were to protest he'd recognise his presumption. But then again...

As Alan says, there is no way at all in which his "promise" is binding on you.
musicus - moderator, Liturgy Matters
blog
IncenseTom
Parish / Diocese: Diocese of Leeds

Post by IncenseTom »

Parishes merging? Can this sort of structural change, which I would imagine seems fairly permanent, be made during a sede vacante?
Southern Comfort

Post by Southern Comfort »

IncenseTom wrote:Parishes merging? Can this sort of structural change, which I would imagine seems fairly permanent, be made during a sede vacante?

No.
IncenseTom
Parish / Diocese: Diocese of Leeds

Post by IncenseTom »

That's what I thought.

I wouldn't be surprised if the 'merging parishes' situation changes in some way, oops, once a new Bishop of Leeds gets his hands on things. Whatever is happening now must just be a temporary measure until the new Bishop can sort things out properly. Until then, I wouldn't worry about things.
JW

Post by JW »

If you are not enjoying what you are doing Sundays and are losing sleep over it, then I'd seriously consider giving up, at least for a while. Music ministry should never be a life-sentence, even though some might suggest that you are 'running away'. If you get bored etc. there's always a need for Catholic organists so you can always go back. Maybe once you move you'll find things go smoother in your new parish.

My sympathies, hope you sort it out!
JW