'A Big Heart Open To God'

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

musicus

'A Big Heart Open To God'

Post by musicus »

If you read nothing else today, read this: http://americamagazine.org/pope-interview
musicus - moderator, Liturgy Matters
blog
mcb
Parish / Diocese: Our Lady's, Lillington

Re: 'A Big Heart Open To God'

Post by mcb »

Simply stunning. I like this above all:
The image of the church I like is that of the holy, faithful people of God. [...] And the church is the people of God on the journey through history, with joys and sorrows. [...] And all the faithful, considered as a whole, are infallible in matters of belief, and the people display this infallibilitas in credendo, this infallibility in believing, through a supernatural sense of the faith of all the people walking together. [...] When the dialogue among the people and the bishops and the pope goes down this road and is genuine, then it is assisted by the Holy Spirit.

Nothing we didn't know and believe already, but it's a good long while since we might have heard these words from a pope.

The interview itself, incidentally, is carried by the British Jesuits' journal as well as by America magazine.
nazard
Parish / Diocese: Clifton

Post by nazard »

That quote fascinates me. How do we derive any benefit from it? To decide on a matter infallibly all the faithful, however they are identified, have to agree about something, and how do you find out if that is the case?

Apart from that, I was pleased and inspired by what the pope said.
John Ainslie

Post by John Ainslie »

The whole article I found fascinating and inspiring. It's very important to read the context of extracts and quotes. There's enough material in it for a whole week's retreat - or spiritual exercises.
musicus

Post by musicus »

nazard wrote:That quote fascinates me. How do we derive any benefit from it? To decide on a matter infallibly all the faithful, however they are identified, have to agree about something, and how do you find out if that is the case?

This refers to the consensus fidelium. As a start, an Internet search will quickly discover a good deal of helpful material, much of which will involve references to Newman and to Vatican II.
musicus - moderator, Liturgy Matters
blog