Going down to one Mass

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

JW

Re: Going down to one Mass

Post by JW »

Sorry SC, I misinterpreted you over the procession/singing issue.

As for the issue, I've always held the view that music per se doesn't turn a queue into a procession, and I speak as someone who was crowd managing at London 2012! :lol:

As for Children's Liturgy, I'll just add that, in my view, helping children to 'make God's Word their own' is proper 'education'.

There is excellent guidance herehttp://www.liturgyoffice.org.uk/SOS/LOWC.pdf from the Liturgy Office.

In reflections on the Word it's surprising how many children think the answer to any question is "Jesus". And perhaps they're right.

And now I'll shut up.
JW
Nick Baty
Parish / Diocese: Formerly Our Lady Immaculate, Everton, Liverpool

Post by Nick Baty »

JW wrote:..what we do is what works for us. Our people prefer to sing when they've received Communion
And I'm sure there are all sorts of pastoral reasons for doing all sorts of things. But where do you stop? I've heard people argue against a sung Gospel Greeting or Sanctus or, worse, in favour of a choral Sanctus. I've known parishes where the assembly only gets to sing when the choir is on holiday or where there are four hymns and no sung acclamations. In each case the argument is "it works for us".
JW wrote:...a procession doesn't need singing
Yes it does or it becomes a queue!
JW wrote:Incidentally, readings and topics are notified to the priest
He'll know those anyway as they're the same readings he's using – or should be!
JW wrote:...if you simply have readings and a shared homily for the children as SC suggests, that is suited to the most academic children only
Quite the reverse. Bernadette Farrell explains this rather well: read the Gospel to the children and then ask them what they hear. All children will hear something and, if we're being academic about it, this is differentiation – exactly what good teachers aim to do.
Last edited by Nick Baty on Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Nick Baty

Post by Nick Baty »

Nick Baty wrote:Yes it does or it becomes a queue!
Sorry, SC beat me to it!
mcb
Parish / Diocese: Our Lady's, Lillington

Post by mcb »

Nick Baty wrote:
JW wrote:...a procession doesn't need singing
Yes it does or it becomes a queue!

Music, perhaps, but not necessarily singing. Maybe the procession we're most familiar with is the bridal procession at the beginning of a wedding. I have led the music at weddings where this has been accompanied by singing, but organ music is more usual.

A procession is a solemn way of making progress. You could do it in silence, if the occasion called for it. I've walked behind a coffin at a burial service; there was no singing, but it definitely wasn't a queue. :oops:
Nick Baty

Post by Nick Baty »

Yes, there are different types of processions. Funeral services tend to generate a respectful procession. Anyone taking part in a bridal procession has only themselves to blame! ;) But communion processions are, so very often, an ungainly huddle.