Optional Gloria?

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

HallamPhil
Parish / Diocese: St Lawrence Diocese of St Petersburg

Optional Gloria?

Post by HallamPhil »

I was recently in Plymouth diocese where I was asked whether it was true that the Gloria might be omitted if the opening song is a song of praise. I didn't think this was the case but it would be good to hear some comment on this from the forum as I am away from my resources at the moment.
Gwyn
Parish / Diocese: Archdiocese of Cardiff

Re: Optional Gloria?

Post by Gwyn »

I've had a rummage through the current GIRM but can find nothing to indicate this.
Southern Comfort

Post by Southern Comfort »

Not true.

On a related point, many folk have asked what to do now that the Mike Anderson "Clapping Gloria" can no longer be licitly used. One solution offered was to use it as an opening song of praise, when the question then arises as to whether you need a second Gloria (assuming it's a day when this is required). But in any case Mike has now rewritten the verses as a song of praise: problem sorted.

It's a great pity that GIRM does not either insist that the Gloria always be sung, or alternatively specify (like the Alleluia in 1969 GIRM) that if not sung it may be omitted. Nothing worse than hearing a congregation churning through a spoken Gloria, exacerbated now by the revised translation. :(
alan29

Post by alan29 »

There is always the "French Solution" as experienced twice last month in different places. Just have paraphrases sung of all the ordinary. In its favour, they raised the roof. Contra; they are forbidden (UK only?) and lead to a particularly nasty paraphrase of the sanctus sung to "Michael rowed the boat ashore."
NB priests hand washing at the offertory was nowhere to be seen either. Masses conducted entirely from the altar. Masses where the liturgy of the word seemed to be conducted by a lay person from the reading desk. A highly skilled organist playing a beautiful instrument with almost no sense of what was appropriate.
And we worry about punctuation .......
BobHayes
Parish / Diocese: St Mary of the Angels - Diocese of Salford

Post by BobHayes »

Southern Comfort wrote:
On a related point, many folk have asked what to do now that the Mike Anderson "Clapping Gloria" can no longer be licitly used.

I always wondered what was the most appropriate response of the lay faithful when confronted by the 'Clapping Gloria': dignified silence, sullen insolence or whole-hearted engagement with the scout/guide jamboree antics. :?
Bob
Gwyn
Parish / Diocese: Archdiocese of Cardiff

Post by Gwyn »

I always wondered what was the most appropriate response of the lay faithful when confronted by the 'Clapping Gloria': dignified silence, sullen insolence or whole-hearted engagement with the scout/guide jamboree antics. :?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: