Psalm for the feast of the Transfiguration

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

JW

Psalm for the feast of the Transfiguration

Post by JW »

Does anyone know a good rousing psalm for the Transfiguration, Ps.96 (Response is "The Lord is king, most high above the earth")? We have a silver anniversary of ordination to priesthood to celebrate.
JW
promusica
Parish / Diocese: Ashbourne Meath Ireland

Re: Psalm for the feast of the Transfiguration

Post by promusica »

A great setting of this psalm is by Rory Cooney. The clip on the OCP website - http://www.ocp.org/compositions/16340 - is a bit folky, if that's your preference, but we've done this psalm with full organ, choir, and solo in a more "classical" style and it has a suitable regal feel.
Alan
Parish / Diocese: Holy Redeemer Pershore [Birmingham Archdiocese]

Post by Alan »

JW, I have just PMd one of my settings to you, along with this note:

Here's one of mine, based on my festal tone setting of Psalm 66 in Psalm Songs volume 2, page78. I have added verse 8 of the psalm to avoid the very awkward three-line stanza at the end.
My congregation doesn't have a problem with low B flats, but you could transpose it up a semitone (if yours doesn't have a problem with high D sharps!).
If you do have a 4-part choir, the verses sound good chanted in harmony. Failing that, a cantor is fine, of course.
Above all, sing it con belto.

For copyright reasons (the text), I won't post it here, but anyone who wants it is welcome to PM me.
JW

Post by JW »

Thanks to all those who have responded, both on the forum and by PM. People here have been extremely helpful.

Hopefully I'll be running through some of the options with the psalmist next Sunday.
JW
Howard Baker
Parish / Diocese: Hexham and Newcastle

Post by Howard Baker »

You might consider the attached, composed just this year by Colin Brumby, the Australian composer. You are free to copy and use it as you will - no copyright issues. It's not especially 'rousing' but has a response which would be easy for the congregation to sing.
PSALM 96 (Transfiguration of the Lord, Years A,B,C)).pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
johnquinn39
Parish / Diocese: Birmingham

Post by johnquinn39 »

JW wrote:Does anyone know a good rousing psalm for the Transfiguration, Ps.96 (Response is "The Lord is king, most high above the earth")? We have a silver anniversary of ordination to priesthood to celebrate.

Yes.

Have you tried Bevenot's in the McCrimmon book. The response ends on a crashing 'wrong-note' chord.
Terry Quinn
Parish / Diocese: St John the Baptist RC. Burnley

Post by Terry Quinn »

I can recommend one from the GB-Smith "Responsorial Psalm Book for Sundays & Feast Days" (Collins). It is for the 7th Sun of Easter C. Music: Paul Johnstone. The words of verse 2 will need to be adapted but otherwise it is a straight sing. This setting gives a range of options and is just that little bit different and triumphal.
Southern Comfort

Post by Southern Comfort »

There's also a very serviceable setting in Psallite.
Peter

Post by Peter »

Many years ago I fitted the words of this Psalm to a polonaise for chorus and orchestra by Glinka for a concert in Portsmouth. As the original title of the piece was "Great is our God" it was not as inappropriate as it may sound. If you're using it as the Responsorial Psalm it would unfortunately not be suitable as the text needed a bit of tweaking to fit, more so as it goes on, but it's certainly rousing! You're welcome to PM me if interested.
musicus

Post by musicus »

Howard Baker wrote:You might consider the attached, composed just this year by Colin Brumby, the Australian composer. You are free to copy and use it as you will - no copyright issues. It's not especially 'rousing' but has a response which would be easy for the congregation to sing.

But there are copyright issues: the text is the Grail's. Please do not post copyrighted material on our server (a link to elsewhere is another matter).
musicus - moderator, Liturgy Matters
blog
Howard Baker
Parish / Diocese: Hexham and Newcastle

Post by Howard Baker »

Oops, yes. Sorry! I meant in relation to the music.
Southern Comfort

Post by Southern Comfort »

Howard Baker wrote:You might consider the attached, composed just this year by Colin Brumby, the Australian composer. You are free to copy and use it as you will - no copyright issues. It's not especially 'rousing' but has a response which would be easy for the congregation to sing.

A late return to this thread, as the feast is imminent. This setting uses the ICEL response (that's what they use in Australia) instead of the response using the words of the Grail psalm itself, which is what is used in GB. If you don't mind your people singing "the most high over all the earth" when they will be hearing "most high above all the earth" in line 2 of stanza 3, all well and good. But that response is not approved for use in this country, and it's easy to see why the ICEL responses will eventually be phased out. They don't relate to any known translation.